When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Rat Ray - Coppertone Deluxe Stingray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sworley

I live for the CABE
As I posted before, the seller of my '67 Violet Deluxe also mentioned that his girlfriend had a Coppertone Stingray in their storage unit. It was another reason I was inclined to pay as much as I did for the '67, knowing this info. Well, about a week ago I received some texts with this critter's photos. I couldn't surmise all the details but the glaring issue was the broken frame. Initially, it was priced at "make offer", so I proposed a number. Then suddenly they had a number in mind and it was more than I wanted to pay. No problem, I politely declined and even gave them some tips on selling elsewhere. But late last week, out of the blue, they said they'd take my offer if I drove out to get it.

Yesterday was a fine day to take a Sunday drive east of here an hour and make the deal. Upon seeing it in person there weren't many more takeaways aside from a missing long Q bolt on one side. Dang. After the cash was in her hand, she mentioned that she pulled it from the county dump pile! Oh well, good on her and great to see this saved. Entrepreneuring young gal. Also, the bike's name is Goldie.

Upon getting it home, I shot some pictures to my friend who's a master welder to see if he was up to the task. He feels confident he can sleeve it and weld it but it won't be pretty. Worth a shot!

So we'll see what results he can get. I'd like to make a ratty custom rider out of it - ditch the fenders, keep the old, fat blackwalls and incorrect solo polo and have one mean-looking ray. If someone has an original "standard" Coppertone chainguard they'd like to trade this deluxe one for, I'd be open to talking!

thumbnail_IMG_5561.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5560.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5559.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5551.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5550.jpg

Last edited:
Tear down went pretty well tonight. 66 frame, 64 crank and 65 fork, just as mismatched as all the nuts and bolts on the bike, haha. Also, the rear wheel is a 28 spoke center stamped S2, does that mean some girls bike donated the rear wheel?

I am unsure how my buddy will repair this but I guess nothing to lose. The frame seems bowed out, too like someone was riding it while it was broken.

4CF95D8A-33EE-4594-A1CB-2F1168A4C902.jpeg

0546E32C-FC7E-44CC-B462-9B6FBDB5148C.jpeg

20CD6269-DDB2-4B3B-99FA-3D5AF484D61B.jpeg

69749252-E960-4A01-AB16-CF1FE72137B7.jpeg

Tear down went pretty well tonight. 66 frame, 64 crank and 65 fork, just as mismatched as all the nuts and bolts on the bike, haha. Also, the rear wheel is a 28 spoke center stamped S2, does that mean some girls bike donated the rear wheel?

I am unsure how my buddy will repair this but I guess nothing to lose. The frame seems bowed out, too like someone was riding it while it was broken.

View attachment 1770471

View attachment 1770472

View attachment 1770473

View attachment 1770474
I'm pretty certain a fairlady frame has the same down tube

36 spoke was used on early bikes 63 into 64. Then again for a short period on 3 speeds but I can’t remember what year. 28 spoke for blue band 2 speed and red band single speed after the 36 spoke stopped. I’m sure there is someone who knows the exact time it changed. Hope this helps some. Only girls stingray that had an s2 rear wheel was the early slik chiks. Otherwise the girls bikes had the same s7 front and rear like the typhoon and the junior models.

As I posted before, the seller of my '67 Violet Deluxe also mentioned that his girlfriend had a Coppertone Stingray in their storage unit. It was another reason I was inclined to pay as much as I did for the '67, knowing this info. Well, about a week ago I received some texts with this critter's photos. I couldn't surmise all the details but the glaring issue was the broken frame. Initially, it was priced at "make offer", so I proposed a number. Then suddenly they had a number in mind and it was more than I wanted to pay. No problem, I politely declined and even gave them some tips on selling elsewhere. But late last week, out of the blue, they said they'd take my offer if I drove out to get it.

Yesterday was a fine day to take a Sunday drive east of here an hour and make the deal. Upon seeing it in person there weren't many more takeaways aside from a missing long Q bolt on one side. Dang. After the cash was in her hand, she mentioned that she pulled it from the county dump pile! Oh well, good on her and great to see this saved. Entrepreneuring young gal. Also, the bike's name is Goldie.

Upon getting it home, I shot some pictures to my friend who's a master welder to see if he was up to the task. He feels confident he can sleeve it and weld it but it won't be pretty. Worth a shot!

So we'll see what results he can get. I'd like to make a ratty custom rider out of it - ditch the fenders, keep the old, fat blackwalls and incorrect solo polo and have one mean-looking ray. If someone has an original "standard" Coppertone chainguard they'd like to trade this deluxe one for, I'd be open to talking!

View attachment 1769588

View attachment 1769589

View attachment 1769590

View attachment 1769591

View attachment 1769592
I have a white standard guard I could trade you...

Back