When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Schwinn Varsity Tourist

-

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked this up today without fenders. i have me a set of white Bluemels but not sure if i want to modify them to fit. . preliminary ride says it may be a keeper

20200220_172647.jpg

20200220_172917.jpg

Looks like it's in really nice condition.
I don't like the twin stick shifters on a "sport" bike with a drop handlebar, but they make a lot of sense on a "tourist" version.
I have the same bike in a '65 model and find the long reach down to the downtube shifters clumsy.

i bought the bike fenderless but according to the catalog pictures the Tourist had chrome fenders. i recently put a set of 70's fenders on this drop bar Raleigh for resale but they may come off and go on the Schwinn

20200207_162657.jpg

Sharp looking Tourist. Very nice color. I think the chrome fenders would look better IMHO. Chrome 27 inch fenders are hard to find. If you do find some schwinn chrome ones, you have to make sure that fit the frame size for the rear. The front fenders are all the same( Part # 52- 350.) You can find once in a while Wald 27, but in my opinion the braces that come with them are ugly.
20200221_165552.jpg

I have Wald fenders with braces that came off a fender set for a Suburban.

Last edited:
i took the quick release wheels from a '75 Continental and mounted on the Varsity.....Varsinental? Still gotta add a spacer to the drive side for more relief between the fender bolt and cogs. the Bluemels went on quicker than expected. i put a piece of rubber over the fender tab near the bottom bracket then zip tied the Bluemel mount to it. the front flap needs to be straightened so its doesnt rub the tire. fender stays need to be cut or changed to a shorter variety which i have. p clamps on the front fork might bother me but time will tell

20200221_172642.jpg

Interesting.
I seem to remember trying that once and found that the slots were not big enough for the hollow q.r. axles.
It may have been on an earlier('62) model though.

Back