When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Huffy Cheater Slick Modified

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
In the summer of '68 my family went to the Post Exchange at the Kanioe Navy Base in Hawaii and we all got to pick out the bike we wanted. I picked out a chrome CSM with rams horns and a tall sissy bar . I had that bike until 1971 when I got careless about leaving around in the nieghborhood in the Presidio. I have Schwinns now , but if I could find one like the one I had it, I would be thrilled.

View attachment 335240 View attachment 335231 Hi: My name is Bernie and I'm new to this or any other discussion site. It took me six years to find this bike. I remember it as my first taste of freedom at eleven years old.
I feel the bike is in limbo, I know there only original once! It was a one owner tell he passed. The person I purchased it from decided to paint the fenders because of some original paint damage. Fortunately, he only painted the top of the chain guard, leaving the original screened decal. They will need to be re-painted to correctly match the original color.
I would appreciate some help in finding the original parts it's missing. The front rim is an ARAYA 20 x 1 3/8 correct size but not original (need help finding an original rim). Pedals not correct (need original pedals). Also mine had a 48" sissy bar (wish list would include finding a 48" Persons sissy bar to go with the Persons seat)
I would appreciate any help or information I can get. Thanks.......Bernie

Hi, Bernie,

Jay from Pittsburgh checking in with you about your 1968 Huffy Cheater. I am presently working on a 1969 Huffy Cheater, very similar to yours but mine has the ram horns instead of the the Malibu bars and is certainly not in the condition your is in- yours in a beauty.

I think I can help in this way:

Stem: Your bike has an Ashtabula gooseneck stem that was stock on Schwinn Krates, Varsities, and Continentals, etc. The original was a "slit quill" stem. Here is one that is similar, though from the quill bolt and gooseneck bolt, it is also appears to be a slit quill from Ashtabula. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHWINN-GOO...910052?hash=item5b27eda6a4:g:1CcAAOSwdzVXj42k

Pedals: The pedals on the one I am restoring had white bow pedals which were so worn and bent I ended up replacing them with a set of black Schwinn stamped bow pedals from a mid 60's collegiate. Here is a link to a set of white bow pedals that will be very very close to the originals, I think though I have also seen this year with black bow pedals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Schwi...-Vintage-Cruiser-Bike-Pedal-1-2-/110847550386

Sissy Bar: Craig Morrow from Bicycle Heaven here in Pittsburgh has 42" Sissy bars that might be a match for you. Here is the link: https://www.bicycleheaven.org/colle...ikes-tall-42-fit-schwinn-stingray-huffy-sears

Grips and more: The grips on my cheater are the same as the ones on yours so they might be a match afterall.

I will post some pics tomorrow so you can compare.

Jay:
Thanks I appreciate any help... I've been doing more research and in the 68 Huffy catalog all bikes are pictured with Hunt Wilde style grips. However, the book also shows
"New sculptured grips" so I think either would be correct.
I did find the red lined bow pedals. I'm going to wait tell I find a correct 48" sissy bar. I never even gave the stem a second thought... I'll start looking for one. Thanks again .... Bernie

Hi Bernie,

I have a '68 Coast King Roadrunner that is basically the same as the Cheater Slick Modified. I had this model in 1968 and it had the same grips that yours have in the photo. This bike I found appears to be original except for the large nut on the stem. Good luck with your search - I went on a similar search years ago... I attached photos of my bike and a couple of newspaper ads from that time.
Coast King Roadrunner.jpg

Attachments

• Newspaper ad4.pdf
    580.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Newspaper ad12.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 337
Roadrunner:
Your bike is unbelievably nice!! I am a fan of ramshorn bars..... n if you ever want to part with the sissy bar LMK :)
Thanks for the info......bernie

Jay:
Thanks I appreciate any help... I've been doing more research and in the 68 Huffy catalog all bikes are pictured with Hunt Wilde style grips. However, the book also shows
"New sculptured grips" so I think either would be correct.
I did find the red lined bow pedals. I'm going to wait tell I find a correct 48" sissy bar. I never even gave the stem a second thought... I'll start looking for one. Thanks again .... Bernie

Bernie,
Just finished up the Huffy.
00 Huffy Cheater.JPG

More Here: http://bikewhistle.blogspot.com/2016/08/1968-huffy-cheater-slick-modified.html

Jay:
I did see it listed yesterday, didn't know it was yours. It looks awfully nice for the condition you said you started with!!! And all original paint is great!! I hope I draws a lot of attention.... To my knowledge, the last one on eBay was 2008 (according to Worth Point)
Thanks for sharing n good luck..... Bernie

Back