When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 J39-6 Minty Survivor.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A recent acquisition for my collection is this awesome Original ‘68 Radiant Sky Blue Deluxe.
I’ve never owned any mid-year (67-69) Stingrays before, but this one really caught my attention.

The Factory Original Paint is remarkable, along with the screened guard and fork darts.
Top tube and seat post tube decals are also excellent.
Obviously this Stingray was well taking care of as the 55 year old Sky Blue paint still has that factory new deep unfaded glow.

First year for the silver glitter seat with the Mylar trim. The seat on this bike has several faded mylar strips in the middle but no splits, tears or holes. Seat pan is perfect.
Last year for the Wing Tip chain guard and the lucky 7 sprocket.

All the chrome (handle bars, seat strut, both razor fenders and the S-2, S-7 rims) are flawless.

If that’s not enough the rear SLIK and front Westwind are the born with dated to the bike rubber. The mold seam in the middle of the tires are still there.
Every component on this ‘68 bike is closely dated, including the dated pedals.

View attachment 1810616

View attachment 1810617

View attachment 1810618

View attachment 1810619

View attachment 1810620

View attachment 1810621

View attachment 1810622

View attachment 1810623

View attachment 1810624

View attachment 1810625

View attachment 1810626

View attachment 1810627

View attachment 1810628

View attachment 1810629

View attachment 1810630

View attachment 1810631

View attachment 1810632

View attachment 1810633

View attachment 1810634

View attachment 1810635

View attachment 1810636

View attachment 1810637
Breathtaking!!

Hey Chris I’ll see what they say about the pedal dates, but I don’t recall a single mention. Lots of discussion about proper pedals for various models and years

Thought you might like to see my CD

Purchased from original owner few years ago. Very nice original paint. Rear tire changed at some point.

753D8F7C-5B69-4CC9-9E19-5B9FABD3B767.jpeg

F428782C-C6E5-451C-9AE1-9C1DDB6007C9.jpeg

Hey Chris I’ll see what they say about the pedal dates, but I don’t recall a single mention. Lots of discussion about proper pedals for various models and years

Purchased from original owner few years ago. Very nice original paint. Rear tire changed at some point.

View attachment 1814640

View attachment 1814641
Nice little sound room as well!! Good to have things around that were made with skill and care.

Nice little sound room as well!! Good to have things around that were made with skill and care.
I was thinking the same thing.

Mike, Awesome stereo equipment. I see one of the top of the line units …. Marantz.

My last stereo set up was Bose 901 hanging from the ceiling powered by a massive professional Hafler amp.

Minds that think alike!

View attachment 1814640

View attachment 1814641
WOW, Twins

Your CD is beautiful.
You need a W/W SLIK on that J39.

Take more photos all around of this Survivor. Seat looks great.

Thanks for sharing this ‘68 and those tunes.

Chris

Agree, some of the vintage McIntosh tube gear I own and those monster receivers from brands like Marantz and Pioneer are so well built and should last longer than me! What's challenging these days are finding reputable technicians to keep them up and running. I've learned to do some simple stuff like swapping capacitors, refoaming woofers, but when it gets into restoration, I'm outta my league. The vintage stereo repair is a dying art, many are retiring or worse and not as many are learning the skills. I sure hope this gear doesn't become obsolete as a result. Parts too are getting harder to find.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing.

Mike, Awesome stereo equipment. I see one of the top of the line units …. Marantz.

My last stereo set up was Bose 901 hanging from the ceiling powered by a massive professional Hafler amp.

Minds that think alike!
Thanks Chris, I've been into the vintage audio gear for years before the Stingrays. Must admit alot of my gear sits idle now as I'm more focused on the bikes.

Good eye, that is the Marantz 2500 with the scope, was their TOTL and commands a pretty penny these days with collectors. I also have the flagship Pioneer, the SX 1980, another beastly monster receiver. My main interest is in the separates, pre amps and power amps, and I've got a ton of that gear in my main room, LOL, no bikes in that little studio! Mostly solid state and tube McIntosh gear

WOW, Twins

Your CD is beautiful.
You need a W/W SLIK on that J39.

Take more photos all around of this Survivor. Seat looks great.

Thanks for sharing this ‘68 and those tunes.

Chris
Thanks, they sure are twins

I probably have the right Slik in my stash, just never got to swapping it out, but I think I will now

I'll get some more pics soon and post them up here - this is definetely one of my best originals, maybe the best LOL

BTW - I randomly checked some pedals - 65 DA with correct style pedals has no dates on them, while one of my original FG Ghosts with the diamond small clear reflectors is stamped " 1 1"

Last edited:
Excellent bike.
Here's my old 68' super sport with perfect paint for comparison.... Same.

Yep!
In my search for a set of these mid 70’s pedals, I inadvertently discovered that some of them are stamped with what appears to be a date, and some are not.
I needed a set for a 73 J-38, so I went ahead and defaulted for a set that did not have any date markings.
The earliest date stamp I saw, was 75, so maybe that’s about the time they started stamping these type of pedals?
EFC2DEC5-113A-4BE7-A87C-6CA33C9F9308.jpeg
Here’s a set that were stamped 76

Back