1968 Raleigh Sports

Discussion in 'Vintage Lightweight Bicycles' started by milbicycleman, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. #21 Posted Sep 12, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I usually start with Meguier's polishing compound and finish with wax

My favorite wax is Butcher's and I apply the wax with my fingers, then buff it out with lint-free rags.

This is the original paint (not original decals) on a '76 frame that's been rubbed (and the gold tipping re-done)
    0zFrVtF.jpg I552IVp.jpg

#21 bulldog1935, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    SirMike1983 likes this.
  2. #22 Posted Sep 12, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

Thank you for the advice guys. It's been very helpful. I cleaned up the bike and used some 3M wax on it but I don't think there's any way to fix whatever happened to the paint. I also used bronze wool on the wheels. The rear came out really well but the front is super pitted and rusty. The pictures I posted earlier are after I did all the cleaning for reference. At this point should I just let it go the way it is or is there more I can do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. #23 Posted Sep 12, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

As spotted as the paint is, I'd be inclined to stick with it unless you absolutely can't bear it. Most of these were working or utility type bicycles at some point or another - commuters; campus bikes; grocery bikes; etc. The balloon tire American bikes were often for younger people who wanted to imitate a motorcycle or a plane or a car, whereas these were usually for older students or adults wanting a more practical bike. So they got used and saw a lot of time outdoors, or exposed to chemicals in the garage or at work. I'd just call the spotting part of the bike's history, and as long as it's not rusting out or peeling off, maybe let it be.

The rim is a little easier. You can try to locate a single rim on eBay or the like. Or you can do a rim swap to Sun CR18 aluminum rims front and back. Or you could swap both to steel endrick pattern rims from another Raleigh bike. The Sun CR18 is the most common rim swap today and it makes the braking a lot better, and the rims are lighter. If you have to have original, you can probably locate a donor wheel or loose rim on eBay if you're patient. Millions were made over the course of a half century.

The other thing is you could try to locate a tall frame Sports project that is better and swap the parts you want to that donor bike - basically mix two bikes until you get what you want. Don't sell what you have until you have the second bike in hand to mix up what you want, then sell the extra parts you don't want (or keep for spares) off to recoup costs.

bulldog1935 and milbicycleman like this.
  4. #24 Posted Sep 12, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

Thanks, these are all really great suggestions. I'll definitely do some checking around to see what my options are for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk