When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Raleigh Superbe

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bossman

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just picked up this 1968 Raleigh Superbe for my next project. It appears to be completely original except maybe the tires. The frame has a number of rusted areas that appear to be deeper than the surface rust that I usually encounter. Also the lug between the top tube and the seat tube appears to be separating. Any input on how to approach this would be welcomed and most appreciated!

I only have these two photos at the moment but can download others later.

Very nice score.
Prior to be educated, I thought Superbe was produced "Super - Bee " not "Superb"
Anyway , keep your progress posted.

Depends on how deep the rust is and how much separation at the lug. The frames are basic carbon steel, so the tube walls are not terribly thin, at least compared to butted 531 or something like that. If you have enough rust and/or enough separation, then it ends up in the "repair or write-off" category, depending on whether you want to repair and repaint the frame, or write it off. But that would take quite a bit wrong with a frame like this.

The traditional pronunciation is "su-perbuh". A modern variation is "su-perb". It is not "Super-bee".

I am definitely hoping this is not a write off. I'll have a better idea once I break it down and clean the frame. I'll post more photos once I have done that. Thanks for your input!

I have added photos of the top tube/seat tube lug. The underside of the lug at the top tube is separating. I have also added a photo of the BB shell and chain stay connection. I am hoping this is a repair and not a write off. I haven't had a lot of experience with frame repair and I am still new to restoration in general. Again, I appreciate any feedback!

These old steel bikes are very strong. Personally, I would have no problem cleaning this up the best I can, service everything and ride! I would be more concerned about the weld at the seat stays/seat binder junction on this one.

Lug issue - doesn't look bad to me, based on those pictures. Yeah the joint is not perfect, but few of them are from this period of production. Clean up / rust remove and take a closer look, but I don't think you have a big issue there.

The chainstays near the stand are a little worse, it seems, being flattened and a bit rusty. But again, it doesn't seem too bad to me. Carefully remove the kickstand and do your usual rust removal. Check for cracks or breaks in the stay tube surface. If it cleans up and you have no cracks or breaks, you should be fine. You'll need to decide to how you want to address the flattening of the stays when you re-assemble. Those stands are notorious for crushing the stays. You might want to use a rubber liner if you put a kickstand back on to protect the stays from further damage.

These frames have a pretty good margin of safety because they're heavily built. Clean up and get to work, I say.

Back