When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Ram's Horn

-
1571857016178.png

I'm a little surprised none of the Fastback guys have checked in on this but let's see if we can nail it down. I believe there is only 1 version of the Rams Horn bars and this pic is of an original pair. Both of your bikes look to be rounded over the whole top where the originals have a flat section. Or maybe it's the angle because those guys are right the Wald bars do have an extra bend on the vertical part.

View attachment 1083760
Great pic of correct bar - thank you for posting it.

Well, it is a set of Wald bars on the blue Ram...the Walds look identical in shape to the green '68 I mentioned earlier.

So what gives? I have two local Rams, same month/year build date and It looks like both have Wald bars?

Did Schwinn ever sub Wald on the production line?

View attachment 1083093

I took a little drive and brought this back to the shop yesterday. :D

It appears to be OG to a catalog '68 (Ser. No. HDxxxxx Aug 1968 frame build )with the exception of the seat brace bolts at the dropouts - I can live with that...

I think it would clean well enough to come back to life but I will have to check deep rust on a few things to see what the plating looks like underneath.

My options are to leave it alone and sell it regionally as a "project bike", or deep clean it and recover the seat, etc., or part it out so other folks can complete their bikes and maximize the shop's profit (bu also my labor:sweat:).

I do not need to flip it right away so there is no financial time pressure on a decision. I had just promised myself earlier in the morning I would not take on any more deep cleans at the shop - and then I rolled this in a few hours later.

I would love to clean it and let it hang out with a couple of buddies in our display window but am torn over the decision. The apparently cleanable condition and the fact that it all there influences my thoughts it should not be parted out or repainted. I deep cleaned a green one last year for a customer and really fell in love with that bike.

Would appreciate what drives your thoughts in similar situations.

View attachment 1083092
Sell as is They are worth more the way it is. What are you thinking price wise? Thanks for sharing. Razin.

Great pic of correct bar - thank you for posting it.

Well, it is a set of Wald bars on the blue Ram...the Walds look identical in shape to the green '68 I mentioned earlier.

So what gives? I have two local Rams, same month/year build date and It looks like both have Wald bars?

Did Schwinn ever sub Wald on the production line?
Yes. Wald made bars for most of the bicycle makers. The Schwinn Approved bars are harder to find and are more desirable. I have paid more than $100.00 dollars for a RUSTY pair of the Schwinn bars. Razin.

Back