When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Schwinn Fastback 5 Speed in Coppertone

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
I finished the clean-up on this survivor yesterday. MC date code is Dec 1967 but with helpful input from CABER's the saddle type and late date likely make this an early '68 catalog model.

Saddle and cable housing was roached so I installed a repop saddle and new cable housing on the brakes (my vintage housing stash has been depleted of long enough sections). A previous owner wiped off the silkscreened chainguard emblem and fork darts. I debated on replacing them and figured if the new owner did not like the new ones, the waterslides could be easily removed.

Along the way I discovered that it was very likely a Ram's Horn model as it's ghost emblem could be seen on the chainguard. The stem and handlebars are date coded 1968. I am thinking that the dealer swapped out the bars for reasons unknown back in '68.

So, with that dilemma in the middle of the clean-up I used a Stingray waterslide on the chainguard so the bike does not look wonky. Dan (bicyclebones on eBay) supplied the waterslides and the seat brace caps and it is always a pleasure to do business with him.

Tires appear to be original and one inner tube was replaced. Some sidewall cracks on the rubber but overall quite pliable and nice for show.

All in all I think it turned out decent - it was completely stripped for cleaning - here is an Imgur album for folks that like to look at Before, During, and After.

PXL_20231023_174424614.jpg

I finished the clean-up on this survivor yesterday. MC date code is Dec 1967 but with helpful input from CABER's the saddle type and late date likely make this an early '68 catalog model.

Saddle and cable housing was roached so I installed a repop saddle and new cable housing on the brakes (my vintage housing stash has been depleted of long enough sections). A previous owner wiped off the silkscreened chainguard emblem and fork darts. I debated on replacing them and figured if the new owner did not like the new ones, the waterslides could be easily removed.

Along the way I discovered that it was very likely a Ram's Horn model as it's ghost emblem could be seen on the chainguard. The stem and handlebars are date coded 1968. I am thinking that the dealer swapped out the bars for reasons unknown back in '68.

So, with that dilemma in the middle of the clean-up I used a Stingray waterslide on the chainguard so the bike does not look wonky. Dan (bicyclebones on eBay) supplied the waterslides and the seat brace caps and it is always a pleasure to do business with him.

Tires appear to be original and one inner tube was replaced. Some sidewall cracks on the rubber but overall quite pliable and nice for show.

All in all I think it turned out decent - it was completely stripped for cleaning - here is an Imgur album for folks that like to look at Before, During, and After.

View attachment 1925776
Wow, bikemonkey….that clean up came out awesome from what you started with. Definitely needs a proper seat….that $39 repop seat, I’m sure will be replaced. Can the original well used seat be a recover candidate? Anyway…lookin good there. Enjoy the ride

Wow, bikemonkey….that clean up came out awesome from what you started with. Definitely needs a proper seat….that $39 repop seat, I’m sure will be replaced. Can the original well used seat be a recover candidate? Anyway…lookin good there. Enjoy the ride
Thanks for the nice comment! The old saddle will be kept with it and the pan and reflector tab are solid. I could not justify another $300 investment in it so I will leave that to the new owner. Not crazy about the repop saddle but could just not display it with the old one.

Really like the color on your Fastback, I had a 72 Plymouth Duster in just about same color.
If your talking about selling,please shoot a number my way. Thank you.

Back