1968? Schwinn Paramount i.d. help

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
Playa del Rey, United States
-----

wrt Cinelli stem/bar set from dealer -

the stem will have a clamp size of 26.4mm

if the bar you select to use with it is not a Cinelli you will likely need to shim it

most common bar centre sizes are 25.0mm, 25.4mm and 26.0mm

please do not rely upon pinching down the clamp for a fit

---

there appears to be a marking on the underside of the cantle plate of the Brooks. be it confirmatory of the 1968 datum?

-----

Last edited:
Reactions: unregistered

unregistered

Oct 24, 2018
Are there any Cinelli stems that have a clamp diameter other than 26.0, 26.4 or smaller? Had a heck of a time getting these 7/8”/22.2mm steel bars in...

95BCD77A-58B8-472C-B9CB-E619D179D5AB.jpeg

F473B38E-7940-49B8-9421-826908D5DC45.jpeg

CE131306-9E68-44D0-B08B-9D4ED5FC5053.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sven

unregistered

Oct 24, 2018
@juvela
Are there any Cinelli stems that have a clamp diameter other than 26.0, 26.4 or smaller? Had a heck of a time getting these 7/8”/22.2mm steel bars in there.

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

Did not respond to query in post nr. XXIV due to a lack of solid information to assist on me part.

When you mentioned Cinelli stem originally I was picturing something like model 1/A in alloy. The 26.4mm bar centre and clamp size is correct for the Cinelli alloy products of the sixties and seventies.

My error.

Did check Sutherland manual for you and it only gives the 26.4mm size. My copy is an early addition and later ones are sure to give more information...

Evidently, at least some, if not all, steel Cinelli products used the 25.4mm clamp size. Here is a VB listing for a steel track bar from the firm -

This still does not explain your difficulty in mounting a 22.2mm bar.

Cinelli products launched in 1948 and steel stem and bar models continued to be offered at least into the mid-1960's.

This makes two errors made by me on your machine, one on the brake caliper model and one here on the stem.

---

Sidenote -

if you have not done so already you might wish to straighten the rearward caliper arm on the front brake caliper. it appears to have received a "modification" at some point, courtesy of the downtube, when the fork swung strongly to the right.

-----

Last edited:

unregistered

Oct 24, 2018
Thank you for the info @juvela! I agree that brake caliper needs straightened or replaced.

I was really hoping to use that stem with a comfortable and light modern bar ala Velo Orange but looks like another direction must be sought.

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

Just to make sure we are on the same page...

22.2mm is unusally small for the clamp size of a bar but is a common diameter for the main portion of the bar

-----

unregistered

Oct 24, 2018
Yeah, very strange. I verified that a set of 25.4 clamp bars were certainly not going in there.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
------

One thought which comes to mind is that the stem may have been made for use with a juvenile bar with a smaller than adult bar center diameter.

This would explain why the shop had it around and no one had used it.

Sutherland states that England, France and Italy all produced bars with a 23.8mm center diameter.

-----

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

After posting recalled that at one time, roughly late 1940's through early 1960's, there were modest Cinelli badged juvenile cycles an adult transportation cycles produced. These are not especially well known but when they do come up for sale they generate values well in excess of their intrinsic worth due to the Cinelli name. Have seen examples. Do not know the extent of Cinelli involvement in these products.

One practical adult model which has generated a bit of interest amongst collectors is the Riviera. This was produced for Cinelli by Garlatti of Parma.

It occurred to me that it is possible your stem could come from one of these non-racing Cinelli badged machines. If it had been a children's model it might have used a bar of a small center diameter; hence your stem.

Do not wish to assert this as a fact, just to mention to you as background information on a possibility. A Cinelli juvenile cycle could have been "totalled" in some mishap and this stem salvaged. Certainly no hard information held on my part.

-----

unregistered

Oct 24, 2018
Good to know! I am familiar with the junior road bikes and there seems to be a decent quantity of them left in this locale for some reason. The ones here are largely of the French origin - Gitane, Motobecane models. They do make an interesting display and conversation piece.

unregistered

Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for eveyone’s help on this, especially @juvela for being so patient.

This Paramount went off to a good home last night as it was slightly too big for me and I could not reconcile with that, as much as I loved this bike.

I believe the new owner is a member here, I will leave it up to him to pipe in or not. I think we’d all love to see how the refurb of this old bird goes!

Reactions: PfishB and juvela

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

;)

you might wish to append a message to this effect at the chainset thread as well

that way anyone venturing thither shall know the disposition of the machine/project

-----

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

Tip for readers:

The cycle's new owner has commenced a lively discussion thread on it reposing here -

-----

This ad goes away when you register for an account!