When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968? Schwinn Paramount ID help

-
@juvela Thanks for weighing in! Great points!

The saddle is a B17 and the crankset is a Stronglight. Sorry for the crummy photos from my dark basement shop!

44C4B8B1-70BD-4869-B71A-2FFB8239B2D9.jpeg

-----

Lug pattern is Prugnat 62/s. Schwinn also built Paramounts with Prugnat lug pattern 62/d.

You will be able to gain a date confirmation from the inner face of the cycle's Campag hub axle locknuts.

If spokes Union (Union Frondenberg - Berg) this is confirmatory of a Schwinn wheel build.

You might wish to check to verify that the Lyotard 460D's fitted by dealer are 9/16" thread and not 14mm. May not be necessary to measure. If inner ends of spindles are marked D and G they are 14mm. If marked R and L they be 9/16". (Some 460D's have unmarked spindles.) Pedals fitted by dealer are the submodel intended to be compatible with alloy chainsets. Note the protrusion of the spindle end on the inner face of the crankarm. There was also a version of the 460D with shorter threaded section spindle intended for fitment to steel crankarms.

Brake calipers not shown especially well in any of the images provided. From what can be seen suspect they are the not oft encountered luxury finish. There was a period on the 1960's when Weinmann offered a luxury finish for the 610/750 centrepull brake calipers. In this variant the arms are not stamped nor labeled with the Weinmann name and model number. Rather it is screen printed in dark red and the finish is anodised after polishing. Count yourself fortunate to have received these.

Please post again when you have things sorted to your satisfaction.

-----

Last edited:
-----

Brakes -

thank you for the additional pictures

brakes original & correct

my error! :anguished:

they are the normal ones for the date

that's me fault for attempting to extrapolate too far from inadequate visual information

here is the luxury finish -

---

Titan -

in case you would like to return cycle to its original Titan stem/bar set there are two pieces of information you should have:

a) Titan stems and bars have a unique to them 27.0mm size for the stem clamp and bar centre

b) depending on the date the writing on the sleeve of the bar may be done to be read from the rider's side or from the front of the cycle. you will need to check which is correct for the 1968 date. i do not recall the date the change was made, forum member @non-fixie is an expert on Titan products. have sent him a message so he will be along shortly to assist you.

---

Weinmann rim sought -

it is model number 256 -

-----

Last edited:
The orientation of the script on the sleeve was changed around 1970, I believe. For 1968 this would be correct (1968 RIH, pictured as found, please disregard the ugly bar tape:(

1k0_3136323762fd8e3590241adc7a0d0cd75493d498.jpg

Some progress. Tear down has been going smoothly with no surprises.

The pedal spindle does stick out a little from the crankset, yes.

I found no stamping on the bars nor stem so not sure if they're original or the quality of them. Thankfully, the super nice shop owner gave me a Cinelli bar and stem combo when I bought the bike. I'll plan on using the stem with some lightweight alt/comfort bars of which TBD.

thumbnail_IMG_0651.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0652.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0653.jpg

Back