When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968? Schwinn Paramount ID help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

wrt Cinelli stem/bar set from dealer -

the stem will have a clamp size of 26.4mm

if the bar you select to use with it is not a Cinelli you will likely need to shim it

most common bar centre sizes are 25.0mm, 25.4mm and 26.0mm

please do not rely upon pinching down the clamp for a fit

---

there appears to be a marking on the underside of the cantle plate of the Brooks. be it confirmatory of the 1968 datum?

-----

Last edited:
Are there any Cinelli stems that have a clamp diameter other than 26.0, 26.4 or smaller? Had a heck of a time getting these 7/8”/22.2mm steel bars in...

95BCD77A-58B8-472C-B9CB-E619D179D5AB.jpeg

F473B38E-7940-49B8-9421-826908D5DC45.jpeg

CE131306-9E68-44D0-B08B-9D4ED5FC5053.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

Did not respond to query in post nr. XXIV due to a lack of solid information to assist on me part.

When you mentioned Cinelli stem originally I was picturing something like model 1/A in alloy. The 26.4mm bar centre and clamp size is correct for the Cinelli alloy products of the sixties and seventies.

My error.

Did check Sutherland manual for you and it only gives the 26.4mm size. My copy is an early addition and later ones are sure to give more information...

Evidently, at least some, if not all, steel Cinelli products used the 25.4mm clamp size. Here is a VB listing for a steel track bar from the firm -

This still does not explain your difficulty in mounting a 22.2mm bar.

Cinelli products launched in 1948 and steel stem and bar models continued to be offered at least into the mid-1960's.

This makes two errors made by me on your machine, one on the brake caliper model and one here on the stem.

---

Sidenote -

if you have not done so already you might wish to straighten the rearward caliper arm on the front brake caliper. it appears to have received a "modification" at some point, courtesy of the downtube, when the fork swung strongly to the right.

-----

Last edited:
Thank you for the info @juvela! I agree that brake caliper needs straightened or replaced.

I was really hoping to use that stem with a comfortable and light modern bar ala Velo Orange but looks like another direction must be sought.

-----

Just to make sure we are on the same page...

22.2mm is unusally small for the clamp size of a bar but is a common diameter for the main portion of the bar

-----

Yeah, very strange. I verified that a set of 25.4 clamp bars were certainly not going in there.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
------

One thought which comes to mind is that the stem may have been made for use with a juvenile bar with a smaller than adult bar center diameter.

This would explain why the shop had it around and no one had used it.

Sutherland states that England, France and Italy all produced bars with a 23.8mm center diameter.

-----

Back