When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Schwinn Town & Country trike: Fix it?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I actually thought this thread was new until I saw that someone pointed out it's age!

Would like to hear an update

I never learned how to ride a bike (I know, I know, shut up), so I bought a 1968 Schwinn Town & Country tricycle for cheap and made it rideable (New tires and gear shift cable). Now the 3-Speed Sturmey-Archer hub is broken; they guy at the bike shop says that replacing it would be difficult, expensive and would require replacing the entire wheel. Furthermore, it is his opinion that I shouldn't fix it because it is a rare model and worth something to the right collector if it still has orginal parts. The gear shift cable and tires are the only thing not original, plus a previous owner tried to re-paint it (but the new paint is coming off, revealing the original).

So: I can retire it to my mom's barn and learn to ride a bike, or I can cough up the dough to fix it so that I have transportation right away. I'm a college student, and I was riding the trike to class; without it I haven't been making it on time!

I'm skeptical that it's worth anything because I bought it for $50. What do you think, should I hang on to it as-is or fix it so I can enjoy riding it?

I was just given a Schwinn Town & Country that needs repairs and work for my birthday-I would love to hear how yours turned out. Mine is going to need a bit of work, and so if you have suggestions on how to get started I'd appreciate it very much!:D

Still have any of those hubs?

I have as I mentioned several of these hubs which should be good. if you pay shipping I could send one but it might be better if you sent the wheel. unless something really bad happened I can't imagine that the hub shell is bad. most likely something inside is broken. if you can describe what it is doing wrong and we will see if we can figure out what went wrong. it may just be an adjustment. again I have no confidence in your shop.
Scott:cool:

Hi! I am new to The CABE, but hope to be a long time contributing member! I was just given my dream bike that needs a little TLC. I was quoted about 8 hours of amateur work to get it back in great shape-so I am excited to share my journey and get some help from The CABE!

My question for you: Do you still have any of those hubs you said should be good for this bike? I have a Town and Country, not quote sure just how vintage it is, but was wondering what you think it would take to sell one and ship it to Texas?

Thank you in advance!

Back