When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 stingray lemon peeler handle bars authentic??

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Have been cleaning my bike and taking pics as I go of all the parts showing dates etc. I just removed the handle bars and they are stamped Schwinn 7893 as you can see in the pics however where there is usually a -68 or -69 there is nothing? Was wondering if this could be a set they forgot to stamp?? What do you guys think? The bike appears to be all original and everything has checked out so far but this one has me a little stumped. Last pic is how I discovered the bike....was in a shed in Chicago for last 30+ years

42E17831-7D91-4D21-A43C-F139BE70E73D.jpeg

0FC07702-D2E3-48E3-A4C8-3F09B6BD088B.jpeg

9D1B9F2F-18FD-40F3-BBF3-60D4E52D7989.png

Those are reissued bars , maybe around 1998 or so . Dead on as far as looking like the originals but originals do have the yr stamped . They can be used for 68 or 69 models . When reissued & bought back in the day for $29.95 to $34.95. :eek:

Thanks for the reply, so they made the wide bars in the reissues? Everywhere I looked the reissues are the bars that are more straight up and down. I know the wide only came on the 68 and 69 I believe which is what lead me to believe they were maybe original and just possibly unstamped? I’m no expert haha which is why I am here. Thanks either way

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, so they made the wide bars in the reissues? Everywhere I looked the reissues are the bars that are more straight up and down. I know the wide only came on the 68 and 69 I believe which is what lead me to believe they were maybe original and just possibly unstamped? I’m no expert haha which is why I am here. Thanks either way
Do you have the serial number for your bike? The combination of the front fender and the repop bars are you sure it is not a repop?

Well 90% sure that seat is a reissue as well , sooooo Sure hasn't been in that shed for 30+ yrs 20 maybe but not 30. Hey whats 10 yrs give or take. :rolleyes:

Interesting that the Pacific repops had the bars inscribed with the Schwinn name and the part number. I can't believe they did that because they didn't make the bars. Possibly real replacement bars made for Schwinn dealers and just not dated?

Are you asking if I’m sure the bike is not a
Well 90% sure that seat is a reissue as well , sooooo Sure hasn't been in that shed for 30+ yrs 20 maybe but not 30. Hey whats 10 yrs give or take. :rolleyes:
The seat is a Persons Made in USA and the tag looks to be an original tag too. I know nothing from the 98s are made in USA so if the seat is not original then I’m assuming it would have to be vintage Schwinn store replacement etc? Here’s some closer pics of the seat

B1AE0AA6-5917-4A49-84AC-B3203CACF737.jpeg

7CA14D8B-D74B-4B2F-B483-E40FF8F3C697.jpeg

F3BACB6A-786C-4CB3-8B9C-C388E5FFBD8D.jpeg

Yes, or perhaps some one made a lemon peeler out of a regular stingray
Yeah pretty sure it’s not a repop unless someone went through the trouble of putting all vintage parts on a new bike?? The crank arms and stem are both stamped 68, the bow tie pedals are stamped Germany, the sissy bar is original based on the pinched section, it has the Q bolts at the sissy bar, front fork has the S bolts, the front wheel is S-7 with the Atom brake, rear wheel is s-2 and axle hub is inscribed Schwinn and France I think?? The derailleur is correct Schwinn, the derailleur protector is Schwinn stamped made in Japan, the bearing races are stamped Schwinn 28 tpi and the lock washed is stamped Japan, the chain ring is stamped Schwinn mag which I know the repops a didn’t have. The shifter is clearly from 68 as the shifter was outlawed for the reproductions so to me that sounds like it would be a lot of trouble to make a new bike into this. I will get the serial number later when I get home from work

Back