When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 stingray lemon peeler krate wheel rust removal

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just picked this up today for a price I couldn’t pass up. Does anyone have a trick to removing rust on the rims? I have cleaned many rims with sos pads or steel wool but these look like they are gonna be a little more difficult. I am not expecting amazing results just cleaner then they are now. Any tips or tricks will be much appreciated thanks!

753BDAD9-4C3A-419C-8779-60F596368AC8.jpeg

444F8485-331C-4C1C-BDD1-5473DA384EED.jpeg

Just picked this up today for a price I couldn’t pass up. Does anyone have a trick to removing rust on the rims? I have cleaned many rims with sos pads or steel wool but these look like they are gonna be a little more difficult. I am not expecting amazing results just cleaner then they are now. Any tips or tricks will be much appreciated thanks!

View attachment 1405565

View attachment 1405566
SOS and steal wool pads?!

That would be the quickest way to make them rust up like that. Those are pretty knarly for a 68. You sure chrome is not off off a Chinese made black Friday repops put on it? Whew! I mean, compared to the paint that chrome just no looky right.

Ya gottoa be more gental with chrome least you scratch the heck out of it and SOS pad is a guarantee. . with those. I'd start with brass brush to knock the heavy stuff off first. I mean unless they are repops then it's gonna be tricky B/C Black friday's can just flake off when cleaning.

Hard to imagine but, aluminum foil and water or with WD40 and elbow grease can work miracles on heavy rust like this too, in a short time, and fill in tiny pits . But if it's repop, well you can make em look decent with a brass brush but not gonna look like the quality of original 68 chrome and foil to clean em, could be.

That would be the quickest way to make them rust up like that. Those are pretty knarly for a 68. You sure chrome is not off off a Chinese made black Friday repops put on it? Whew! I mean, compared to the paint that chrome just no looky right.

Ya gottoa be more gental with chrome least you scratch the heck out of it and SOS pad is a guarantee. . with those. I'd start with brass brush to knock the heavy stuff off first. I mean unless they are repops then it's gonna be tricky B/C Black friday's can just flake off when cleaning.

Hard to imagine but, aluminum foil and water or with WD40 and elbow grease can work miracles on heavy rust like this too, in a short time, and fill in tiny pits . But if it's repop, well you can make em look decent with a brass brush but not gonna look like the quality of original 68 chrome and foil to clean em, could be.
I am new to the stingrays. The guy said it has been sitting in his mothers basement for 30 plus years. How would I tell if it is repop rims?

Also did they make the ropops with the drum brake and 5 speed?

SOS is quick, but as stated scratches the chrome. they make brass wool which won't scratch, or brass bristle brushes.

check out my project here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/my-1950-schwinn-traveler-project.190544/page-4

I used Evaporust on my new project bike, there are other products out there that could do the same thing. not perfect but a great improvement. soak in the solution, then clean with a brass bristle brush. I think my bike is more crusty than yours, and 20 years older. I have the handlebars and chrome front fender partially done. I'll post pics tonight.

search for rust removal here and read up on it. or search oxalic acid.. I think I spelled that wrong.

I'm sure those are Schwinn wheels since they match the rest of the corrosion. no other bike had a 16" drum brake. they both will say Schwinn on them somewhere.

SOS is quick, but as stated scratches the chrome. they make brass wool which won't scratch, or brass bristle brushes.

check out my project here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/my-1950-schwinn-traveler-project.190544/page-4

I used Evaporust on my new project bike, there are other products out there that could do the same thing. not perfect but a great improvement. soak in the solution, then clean with a brass bristle brush. I think my bike is more crusty than yours, and 20 years older. I have the handlebars and chrome front fender partially done. I'll post pics tonight.

search for rust removal here and read up on it. or search oxalic acid.. I think I spelled that wrong.
Awesome thanks for the tip yeah I actually was just looking at a product called “metal rescue” from Home Depot and it has great reviews. Might give it a shot

I'm sure those are Schwinn wheels since they match the rest of the corrosion. no other bike had a 16" drum brake. they both will say Schwinn on them somewhere.
Yes I checked and they both are knurled and say Schwinn on them. I’m 99% sure the bike is all original but always want to make sure so I don’t look ignorant

Back