When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Collegiate overhaul -- help with axle nuts, washers, etc.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gary10509

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I'm overhauling a 1969 Collegiate that somebody started, but never finished. I started with a misassembled bike and box of parts. That's left me with a number of puzzles. The service manual and parts lists online are really helpful, but I can't find a clear answer. I'm on the home stretch, but I can't sort out the order of the axle nuts, washers, fenders, and forks.

Front axle assembly -- Do you use a nut on each side to tighten against the cone? I assumed so and used a couple of nuts that were on the front axle for that purpose, but now its seems too wide to fit in the front fork without forcing? If a nut is necessary to lock the cones, were there skinny nuts for that purpose? Then, after the lock nut (or after the cone if no lock nut) it looks like the order goes fork, washer, fender, washer, axle nut -- in that order. Is that right?

Rear assembly -- same questions. Lock nut? Then what's the order of assembly?

If I need skinny nuts to tighten against the cones, does anyone know where I might find them? I'm sure they are online, but I don't know what to ask for.

Thanks a million.

The problem with the service manual is that it says, "if you have this, then you do this." Because I didn't disassemble, I don't know what it was supposed to have, or not.

Thanks for any help.

Back