When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Kool Lemon Fastback 5 Speed paint question

-

Cam_from_Canada

Look Ma, No Hands!
There is a 1969 Kool Lemon Fastback 5 Speed for sale up in Canada for $1,500 ($1,200 USD) that looks to be a H36-9 model. Produced in May 1969 according to the owner. Bike was originally from California I have been told.

I am interested in the bike (although it is two provinces away). It is being advertised as all original and to the untrained eye, looks to be.

There is one area where there is paint missing where it looks to to be red primer or rusty coloured primer underneath the yellow paint. Is this the norm for factory painted Kool Lemon?

There is also a close up of the seat post tube decal which looks discoloured. I have not seen yellow Sringrays in person, so I am not aware if this is the normal look of a faded original water transfer decal.

Any insight and opinions regarding the original paint status and the current asking price of this bike would be much appreciated.

-Cam

There is a 1969 Kool Lemon Fastback 5 Speed for sale up in Canada for $1,500 ($1,200 USD) that looks to be a H36-9 model. Produced in May 1969 according to the owner. Bike was originally from California I have been told.

I am interested in the bike (although it is two provinces away). It is being advertised as all original and to the untrained eye, looks to be.

There is one area where there is paint missing where it looks to to be red primer or rusty coloured primer underneath the yellow paint. Is this the norm for factory painted Kool Lemon?

There is also a close up of the seat post tube decal which looks discoloured. I have not seen yellow Sringrays in person, so I am not aware if this is the normal look of a faded original water transfer decal.

Any insight and opinions regarding the original paint status and the current asking price of this bike would be much appreciated.

-Cam
View attachment 1596723

View attachment 1596724

View attachment 1596725

View attachment 1596726

View attachment 1596727

View attachment 1596728

View attachment 1596729

View attachment 1596730

View attachment 1596731

View attachment 1596732
Yes red primer is correct the discoloration on seat post decal is normal. I agree Coyote guard looks off but need to see complete shot of drive side of bike.

... Seat post decal discoloration looks normal ... Glitter grips are correct for '69 ... That style shifter handle was used beginning in 1970 ... but could possibly have been used on Nov or Dec 69 models ... Also it appears to have a 1-5 hi-lo decal on the shifter ... '69 and up had Hi ----- Lo with no numbers ...
... Back tire appears to be lacking tread wear for 50+ year old bike (center tread mold flashing still visible) ...
... Derailleur free wheels should be smooth ... those have cogs .. again possibly used on late '69 models ...
... I would think this bike should have bow pedals but I could be wrong ...

@Cam_from_Canada I took a look at other '69s posted and yes guard decal looks too far forward. Are these the only pics they provided? I would be suspect of it as they are not showing important shots.
Thanks everyone! I figured I would run this by the experts first before asking for more photos from the seller. I agree with @Coyote that the chain guard does look pristine.

Thanks for the great information @Rollo

I failed to mention that the tires were noted as replaced. I was primarily focused on the paint and didn’t even think to consider the shifter etc...

I don’t feel this seller is aiming to be misleading. Likely going by what the previous owner told them when they bought it.

Thanks everyone! I figured I would run this by the experts first before asking for more photos from the seller. I agree with @Coyote that the chain guard does look pristine.

Thanks for the great information @Rollo

I failed to mention that the tires were noted as replaced. I was primarily focused on the paint and didn’t even think to consider the shifter etc...

I don’t feel this seller is aiming to be misleading. Likely going by what the previous owner told them when they bought it.
... Also just noticed that the overload tube on the shifter and double cable clamp are missing ...

Right on guys. It's so cool to have a panel of experts to bounce these things off of. From what I can see, the C-guard is a little too minty for original. Cam lives in the same city as I do. Nice to have a local Caber or so in my neck of the woods!

The bike will clean up. Besides all of the above mentioned I feel the price is too much for the condition of bike. I know Stingrays, Fastbacks, Krates are getting crazy with prices. Myself I see about $800.00 for this particular bike. My opinion. I would be a little patient and wait for a nicer bike.

Last edited:
Back