When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Orang Krate correct derailleur

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Grey Ghost

Wore out three sets of tires already!
After making a couple mistakes on replacement parts I want to make sure that I buy the correct rear derailleur for my 1969 Krate 5speed.

Which model is correct?
The GT510 and the Sprint models don’t look like I remember the one that came on the Krates. I seem to recall that the face plate was pretty plane, maybe only a”Schwinn” stamp or something. They were actually kind of ugly compared to the Shimano/Campy derailleurs of the day. They definitely had the Huret look about them, some looked like Allivets, re-branded Schwinn.

I am looking for a relatively clean one and don’t want to get the wrong thing, even if it works. The SunTour Vx that I currently have works, but it’s not correct.

Did Schwinn use different derailleurs that year?
Anybody know the correct model for my bike?

Experts chime in please.

Every Krate I have worked on with the exception of a 1973 Orange Krate had the Schwinn Approved Huret derailleur. A 1969 would certainly have had the Huret made Schwinn Approved unit.
If you aren't sure what they look like I can send you a photo of one.

Every Krate I have worked on with the exception of a 1973 Orange Krate had the Schwinn Approved Huret derailleur. A 1969 would certainly have had the Huret made Schwinn Approved unit.
If you aren't sure what they look like I can send you a photo of one.

Can you please post a pic of both... I would like to also know. What did the 1973 Orange Krate have on it?

Thanks,
Ken

The photo enclosed is from one of my Schwinn books. That is a Huret Built derailleur.
I believe the one on the 1973 was a GT510.
I can photograph both styles tomorrow.

Hey Grey Ghost,
You need a Schwinn approved Huret derailleur with smooth pulley wheels. Here is a picture of the derailleur on my 1969 Collegiate. I'll dig through my stuff over the weekend and see if I have a clean one.
Mike

Blue Schwind 004.JPG

Back