When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Orange Krate is finished

-
One thing I wish I would have done, but didn’t, was to use ALL my old nylon washers and the new taller ones included with the kit. I only used two of the old short ones and two of the new ones, (which, btw, you will need), to replicate the original spring length inside the tube. The ones in the kit I got were a bit shorter than the originals.

Had I used all 4 of the old nylon washers, and the 2 new ones, I would gotten even more preload. The new springs are a definite improvement but I still sag about 1/4” when I sit on it.

If you do this you will absolutely need another person to help compress the springs past the roll pin holes for installation.

Last edited:
Here are some finished pics.
I replaced the crappy seatpost clamp and kickstand with some nicer pieces. I also cleaned up some of the thrashed parts like the pedal ends and such.

The brake lever covers are new repops which replaced the generic covers that I had.

Finally, every bike needs it’s own space so I created a musclebike tribute area for the ultimate musclebike, the Mighty Orange Krate.

After seeing KevinBricks Cotton Picker picture showing his reflector I realized that he has a 6 pie reflector which would be the correct style for 1968, and on, Krates.

Well, I have a 2 pie reflector which was used on earlier Stingrays.

So, it’s NOT just right! Arghhhh!

6 pie inbound.

Last edited:
After seeing KevinBricks Cotton Picker picture showing his reflector I realized that he has a 6 pie reflector which would be the correct style for 1968 and on Krates.

Well, I have a 2 pie reflector which was used on earlier Stingrays.

So, it’s NOT just right! Arghhhh!

6 pie inbound
Yea we all saw that but no one wanted to say anything, glad you caught it hahahahaha

...which is unusual because someone always wants to bash the piss out of someone because their valve caps aren't on straight......
Yeah, kinda weird.
I have noticed a few things that were incorrect, and easily corrected, or damaged, and easily repaired or replaced, and nobody said anything.

I have noticed that some of you guys are very polite.

Some others, well, I just ignore them and put “ignore this person” on my to-do list.😊

I don’t mind constructive criticism especially about something like this part.
It is a major visual part of the Krate, or any bike like this really.

Anyway, glad I saw the pic of the Picker reflector. It looked awesome and I knew I must have it.
Glad it was a relatively inexpensive part.

Back