When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Raleigh Competition Finally Bought After 8 Years

-
I see one distinct difference between your '69 and my '70 - the fork crowns. Considering Raleigh's track record for consistency it's not surprising, and this may have been specific to the '70 model, no idea.

IMG_20200408_131701.jpg

The catalog lists the color option as Bronze Green, but the OPs photos don't look like the Bronze Green that I've seen on other Raleighs.

Agree,
I thought the same thing, when I first looked at the picture.
Very unusual green for a Raleigh.
I’ve only ever noticed that Bronze Green that was so popular on models like the Super Course.

-----

semi-sloping fork crown of subject machine -

this is a BOCAMA pattern which was employed to a good degree in Britain during the 1960's
Jack Taylor was another well known maker who used it -

here it is in a Daniel Rebour rendering done for Andy Bertin -

---

PilotFishBob example -

1660765432153.png

this image threw me at first glance since not only the crown but the Jubile shift lever set are items associated with later model years

then noticed the anniversary headplate...

a previous owner had changed out some of the fittings and further changes were made following the PfB acquisition

in the image the headset, brake hanger and shift levers are all non-OEM bits

perhaps Worksop ran out of BOCAMA crowns near the end of the 1970 production year and made some Competitions with this Vagner model No. 12 -

here is an image of the complete PfB machine following completion of changes -

1660768071686.png

-----

Thanks Juvela, I should have noted I had made alterations - PO had outfitted it as below. A mutt for sure, but I fell in love with the look and ignored correctness on the rebuild. One of my never-sells, Antque is going to love his.

Bike-right-sM.jpg

-----

antque -

forgot to mention above:

expect wheel rims to exhibit a light blue transfer reading "NISI - EVIAN"

the EVIAN here is neither a rim manufacturer nor a bottled water purveyor but rather a UK based importer of cycle fittings

the full name is EVIAN (G.B.) Ltd.

at the time of the cycle's manufacture they were the UK agent for NISI brand wheel rims from Italy

PfB's early 1970's Raleigh Grand Sports also came from the factory with rims of this name

-----

Back