When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Robin Hood w/ Minky’s of Chicago shop sticker

-

jimbo53

I live for the CABE
Just picked up this really nice 21” 69 Robin Hood. The new white tires that came on it are sweet, but it was the shop sticker from the iconic Chicago bike shop Minky’s that closed the deal.

Great bike…had a Minkys tagged bike years ago
I checked on line and the use of 2 alphas followed by 5 numericals in a phone number ended in the 50's. Not sure why this is on a 1969 bike, but truth is stranger than fiction. Gotta LOVE that 34 Aerocycle and the "Since 1932" notation. This must have been such an important outlet for Schwinn and other Chicago based manufacturers, esp since 1932 is considered the beginning of the balloon tire bicycle. The first Minky's on W Roosevelt Rd was burned doen during the 1968 riots following the assination of Martin Luther King Jr and was not rebuilt. The store on W Devon Ave opened in 1954 and closed in 1984 when the Shim Nimerov, the original founder of Minky's died.

Lots of history here:
https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/...-minkys-bicycle-shop-in-chicago-illinois.html

Shops didn’t throw anything away….the tags worked people knew how to read them so why invest
Really glad they didn't update their shop stickers. This one is SO much cooler! I do plan on CAREFULLY removing it (heat from a hair dryer and slowly peeling back, hopefully intact) and repositioning it on the bottom of the seat tube, not covering the ROBIN HOOD decal.

I have one in blue for a picture today almost this good but were they more or less money than a Raleigh? Today they are more valued by me.
I dropped off a stranded pregnant lady who was sobbing at a Mc Donalds in Schaumburg, after her transmission went out. I dropped her off near the old Maxwell market. Drug zombies were just waking up and assembling for drugs. They were staring at me like I was a gold bar. I U-turned and kept moving. Few running cars or stores operating. Drugs hurt the bottoms of their feet so they do the Junkie shuffle. The burned out areas never came back. Sorry to hijack the thread but the bikes escaped and stickers remind us of when Chicago was the city that worked.

Last edited:
When I got this bike, the chain guard was missing the decal. Luckily, 2 days after I bought this, someone listed on eBay a black chain guard with the correct decal in great condition! I was the only bidder and got it for $9.99 + $6 shipping. Looks great on the Robin Hood!

before

Last edited:
Back