When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Schwinn Sky Blue Collegiate

-
Interesting. I have a minty 67 Varsity, and it is a different shade of blue.

View attachment 1543364
Thats the same color....
I call it more of a sable look. Its darker in some light and lighter in others. Super pretty and chips disappear into the color, you have to be real close to pick them out.

Heres a 68' SS I have.
Same bike with direct sun light and sun behind a cloud. Pics within 5 minutes of each other.

68SchwnSS1.jpeg

68SchwnSS7.jpeg

Thats the same color....
I call it more of a sable look. Its darker in some light and lighter in others. Super pretty and chips disappear into the color, you have to be real close to pick them out.

Heres a 68' SS I have.
Same bike with direct sun light and sun behind a cloud. Pics within 5 minutes of each other.

View attachment 1543376

View attachment 1543380
Hi, Beautiful bikes, everyone. Here are some pictures of the '69 Collegiate taken out in the sun. Both REDAIR13's Varsity and Schwinny's Super Sport seem to be the same color of Sky Blue. It must have been the interim paint shade used between Radiant Sky Blue and the dark Sky Blue that showed up in the '70's.

Blue Schwind 023.JPG

Blue Schwind 024.JPG

Blue Schwind 025.JPG

Blue Schwind 026.JPG

Blue Schwind 021.JPG

Outstanding condition! Really nice find.
Regarding the "micro metal flake" in the paint; there is a note in the January 1966 Schwinn Reporter that Bronze flecks are being added to Sky Blue, Radiant Coppertone, and Violet paints.
I've seen arguments about this in the past, but I'm just presenting what Schwinn said.
I know that both Sky Blue and (Flamboyant) Lime became deeper, darker colors at some point.
My Sky Blue '77 Superior appears to be about mid way between my early-mid 60s Sky Blue bikes and the darker Radiant Blue that Sky Blue replaced.
I think what you read my be correct. My 1967 Deluxe Stingray was originally Violet but compared to a 1965 or 1966 Violet the paint is brighter on mine. I have one place on the forks that still has the original paint on it. I’m in the process of restoring the bike now.

Back