When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Stingray Campus Green

-

Bike boys

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good Morning.
In the inner workings of the restoration of my 1969 Campus Green. I have a few questions/requests.

•my rear rim is not Schwinn. But there is a minty Schwinn Stingray Nobby tire mounted on the rim. How can I go about carefully removing the nobby without damaging it so I can put it on a stamped S2?
•What tricks do you all use to get original rusty chains back to good looking condition?
———————-
Wanted (PM please)
•68-69 style handlebars once again does not have to be mint.
•The seat post is kinda knarled up. In search of a seat post as well. Does Not need to be perfect but preferably not knarled up.

(still somewhat new to the forum so still looking for “wanted” section”)
Thank you! 1304243
3738745E-E8A0-497F-82DB-21C0F0C8118B.jpeg

Love the Campus green , I have same stingray. I'm not sure of special way to remove tires other then make sure its a warm place and be careful. Go to the main forum page and scroll down to the bottom section you will see heading for "wanted" as well as selling parts ,bikes ,anything. There is a set of bars on Ebay right now but if you post in wanted you should get some action here. Plenty of guys selling parts. Good luck with the project more pictures please

Thank you. This will be a fun build. Bought from a little girl who was very good at lettering. She wrote Schwinn by hand on the top tube. Another question is the seat. It is torn. I tried a sticker but the curve makes the sticker rip. How would I get that to work? Pictures below is a group of buddies with the 69 in the middle.

CDC8BEE0-4185-4946-8F44-F8F700DB41C9.jpeg

I need to hire that girl to letter mine when finished, as for the seat I would think some duct tapr that was more flexible would work. I believe you can recover the seats as well. I have all fresh chrome I got my handle bars off a bike someone wanted me to fix up and he wanted proper bars so i traded for a set i had hanging around. That is always my favorite price

IMG_1311.jpg

I need to hire that girl to letter mine when finished, as for the seat I would think some duct tapr that was more flexible would work. I believe you can recover the seats as well. I have all fresh chrome I got my handle bars off a bike someone wanted me to fix up and he wanted proper bars so i traded for a set i had hanging around. That is always my favorite price

View attachment 1304280
I see yours has a lucky 7 sprocket. Mine has the newer style (mag?) sprocket. But ours are both 1969?

To remove the tire they make plastic tire tools.. The yellow ones I bought on-line. The black ones come free when you buy Goodyear inner tubes at Walmart.. Pm me your address and I will send you some if you need them.. Let all the air out of tire and start at the opposite end of the valve.. Hook the tire with the tool and then hook the opposite end on a spoke to hold it.. Use the other tool and pry the tube along.. The trick is to do one layer at a time.. Then pull the inner tube out all the way around.. Once you have the first two layers done you should be able to pull off the out tire edge by hand..
6F489CA2-4CD7-40F5-8A66-0E0B2D2B7BC2.jpeg

The chain has a master link on it.. Spray it with some WD-40 or liquid wrench.. See that the master link has gaps in it around the pins. work the chain the opposite way it is supposed to bend until those gaps line up and it will slide off.. It is probably full of grease so you have to work it back and forth to open and loosen those gaps.. Once off I throw it in a gallon bucket with some wd40 etc..
D26607C5-EA21-41CA-BC46-281D810EF0AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back