When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Triumph T120R- 650 motorcycle

-

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I took delivery of my 1969 Triumph T120R -650 Bonneville motorcycle. It came out of Manhasset, NY to a collector here in Winnipeg in April 2012. Stored indoors here in Wpg. for over 8 years, one short Highway run. Extensive work done and mountains of bills for work done by Classic Cycles Inc. in Orange, CA, in 2006-7 Chatten Cycle in Shadow Hills 2007-11, CA and Moores in Anaheim, CA. in 2007. Mileage reads 4079, but judging from all the work and bills, that can't be accurate.

It's a piece of history and almost time capsule mint restored. Yes, it ran perfect day one for a short ride, then the carbs leaked at the bowls a bit later, getting right on that. Day 2 ( yesterday) plugs fouling, miss firing, seems the ignition key switch is failing, loses spark, and all that follows, but got a short ride in before the problems. Good old Lucas wiring, Prince of Darkness.

The seller is an ace mechanic ( I'm not) so hopefully we'll get it sorted out soon. Spring weather is up and down, lots of gravel on the streets, so missing some riding time ( not here often to end of May) but

can wait.

2021_0320_22190600-02.jpeg

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3366 (1).JPG

Love those big drum brakes with all those levers and vents.
Me too. No turn signals is neat as well, I have the hand signals down from years ago on bicycles and motorcycles. For safety sake they are good, but non stock, I will do without. The dual mirrors are a bit lame, but period correct. For safety I'll probably keep them.

I bought some really cool leather saddle bags I'll likely put on the bike and they will look good. I like to carry ( in this case an extra set of fresh spark plugs/wrench to start on my stash) a lock, maybe ( I just bought my 1st cell phone/albeit a flip, all I need as I'm not a cell phone fan/prefer to be under the radar) a cell, and on occasion a pint or 2 of a beer to share with a buddy, or a bag lunch with my gal. Driving a vintage bike with a sack bungied on the seat or a knapsack ( are those your school books in there sonny?) are a pain and look sad. I like a clean look, but sometimes you just need crap you can't put in pockets.

If someone sells a bike that has gasoline leaks and electrical problems then they are not an "ace" mechanic, nor is anyone else who has worked on the bike in the past or it would not have those problems. If a real mechanic works on a British bike then it runs and works period.

Also, the definition of a "time-capsule" is something that is original and not restored but in nice original condition. Original unrestored bikes are much harder to find that restored ones, which can be had any day of the week if you wallet is fat enough.

Good luck in the future.

If someone sells a bike that has gasoline leaks and electrical problems then they are not an "ace" mechanic, nor is anyone else who has worked on the bike in the past or it would not have those problems. If a real mechanic works on a British bike then it runs and works period.

Also, the definition of a "time-capsule" is something that is original and not restored but in nice original condition. Original unrestored bikes are much harder to find that restored ones, which can be had any day of the week if you wallet is fat enough.

Good luck in the future.
Ha!! Good points.........but the bike sat in dry ( tank drained of gas) storage for 8 years, and started well and showed no signs of leaks ( they all drip a bit of oil from factory) when first gassed up after I got it home. It turns out the carbs were in need of some freshening up, hotter plugs ( no electric issues) and that has been accomplished by the seller no charge, doesn't leak a drop of gas from the carbs now.

Those Amal carbs were finicky when new and I may get a set of Mikuni carbs for better & more reliable performance. ( shelve the Amals to keep original parts/albeit it does have unoriginal electronic ignition) British bikes are known for many traits, coolness being one, finicky at times another. Vintage anything ( I've been driving vintage vehicles since 1975) needs tweaks and regular maintenance and a patient knowledgeable mechanic if the owner isn't. Those people are becoming hard to find in this throw away, lack of old school work ethic society. Shame.

I have many friends who are also collectors and generally need to spend time, money, and effort to enjoy their mechanical treasures. My term "time capsule" was a poor choice of words I'll admit. I should know better being a collector ( of many things) for over 40 years. Things that are mechanical ( take fluids and electrics) and sit untouched are usually worse off than something that is used. As far as a fat wallet, it can buy what it wants, just depends how FAT?

"Restored" is a loose term, much like "barn find." A correctly restored item holds a higher appreciation and value ( correct to how it was originally sold) than a poorly/incorrect resto.

What do you drive, or drove, still have or sold? Thanks for the good luck wish. Bob

Last edited:
Back