When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Dunelt Before and After

-
Likewise, here. If I was keeping the bike, it'd go Brooks like the rest of my IGH bikes. However, this bike is a frame that too small for me, so it's being restored as trade bait for something that'll fit. Will drop you a note in the next day or two.
Totally get the size issue. I have a 1957 21” Gazelle that I really like but it’s too small. This 23” frame is perfect and is now my main rider

Yeah, that's my plan. Once the bike is done, hopefully I'll find another vintage 3-speed, either something Bike Boom or later (preferably a Raleigh Sports, I actually have not owned one since that ivory one that was my commuter during that period), or something restorable from an earlier era. Definitely attending the Westminster, MD swap (assuming it happens next year) with that in mind.

That looks like a bit more than a wash and polish - would you elaborate?
All my builds are complete tear downs with intent of reusing as much as possible and revitalizing the original paint and maintaining original decals.
Once torn down to the frame I clean with no-ammonia window cleaner followed with gentle going-over with 0000steel wool and WD-40. I’ll rub in 2 thin coats of boiled linseed oil and let sit for a week. BLO ages in nicely over time to a soft satin sheen. Some people are’t fans, but it’s easy to overdo and looks too glossy. Same with forks, fenders and chain guard. I tear down brake assemblies and clean with 0000steel wool and WD-40-same with bottom bracket, handlebars, stem, seat post, crank arms and spindles. Pedals wouldn’t break down so cleaned and oiled the bearing cups a well as possible. Reused brake and gear cables (next to impossible to find the correct ribbed white brake/gear cable) Blew powdered graphite down sleeves and reinserted cables, twisting them to coat with graphite. Outer cable sheaths and bar grips cleaned with Comet cleanser Reused the John Bull brake shoes but roughed up surfaces with med sandpaper. Rims gently cleaned w/ 0000 steel wool and WD-40 so as not to leave scratches. New tires and tubes were only new parts. Cleaned bearings and races, repacked and adjusted. Soaked chain in motor oil in a zip lock bag for a few days and cleaned with a wire brush. I’m a bit OCD with my bikes so even cleaned all nuts, bolts and brackets. Had a period correct Brooks B72 so replaced the tires Brooks mattress saddle. You can’t be in a hurry, but taking your time bears nice results. Here’s a couple of pictures the other day on its maiden ride. Took it out for 20 miles today and it rides wonderfully!

AF905C3D-3432-4124-9884-E55032D1871F.jpeg

936619FF-87E5-4BF0-A055-C3184C6C622C.jpeg

Bravo, great play by play on the cleaning methods. I'm doing the same right now to a 1960 arch bar Hercules badged Hawthorne. Inherited it from an old friend/neighbor and giving it to another old friend in his late 60s who rides a bit and grew up in Dublin Ireland so it's just the kind of bike he and his brothers would have had access to. They knew how to lacquer a frame back then and it's cleaning up nicely. You've inspired me to attack those white grips and cable sheaths now.
The wonders of WD40 and 0000 Steel Wool.

And good old simple green with a brass brush.

Bravo, great play by play on the cleaning methods. I'm doing the same right now to a 1960 arch bar Hercules badged Hawthorne. Inherited it from an old friend/neighbor and giving it to another old friend in his late 60s who rides a bit and grew up in Dublin Ireland so it's just the kind of bike he and his brothers would have had access to. They knew how to lacquer a frame back then and it's cleaning up nicely. You've inspired me to attack those white grips and cable sheaths now.
The wonders of WD40 and 0000 Steel Wool.
View attachment 1304627

And good old simple green with a brass brush.
View attachment 1304628

View attachment 1304629
Those brake arms came out great! That's a tribute to your hard work and quality British chroming.

-----

...following the TI acquisition of the marque how long was it kept going?

early seventies is about the latest can recall seeing

-----

@jimbo53 you did an excellent job on this! Literally saved this bike. Only thing I do different is use brass bristle brush instead of steel wool so I don’t have to worry about being too aggressive. I have heard about BLO but have not tried. One downside as I understand it’s very flammable and eventually dries out so you have to reapply. I guess that’s not a big deal just have to be careful with rags. The results look great. I may have to do this on my loop frame Tourist that is in the queue

8C38929C-AEB2-4FDA-8B15-9DB97E0C61DE.jpeg

The boiled linseed oil worked well on my teens Pierce. Linseed oil is the main ingredient for most old paint, I have lots of experience using it on old boats, talking 1870s-1910s large wooden ships/schooners/tall ships. The rags can build up heat and combust if you wad them up, hang them out to dry/cure and no problem. Like Jimbo53 says, go light on the coats, rub down excess. Thinning with some turpentine helps speed drying. On old wood spars, decks, tool handle we always do the first coat as a 70-30 cut, 70% oil-30% turps, really soaks in. Smells great too! Linseed oil, varnish, turpentine and Stockholm tar, smells of heaven, ;)

Back