When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Schwinn Apple coaster Krate build

-

ChiknCoop

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good afternoon! I've been bitten by the bug of vintage muscle bikes. I grew up with a Stingray and loved it. Years later I ended up with a bike from an estate sale and now just a few months into messing around with it I now have a 70 Schwinn coaster krate. I really have zero knowledge about krates, but have been reading threads and articles relentlessly. So as for the Krate, I kinda stumbled into it on ebay and bought it. I didnt know that there was even a coaster model, so that's an indication of how new I am to the vintage schwinn thing. According to the serial numbers it was manufactured in October of 1970. there aren't any witness marks to show a shifter mount, but it looks like there was a bendix brake mounted, also from what I can tell the frame resembles the way the coaster versions look. I've been collecting parts that are 1970 specific or vintage so far. Here's the Frame, crank, and chainguard as I bought it.
IMG_2316.jpg

Thanks for the information on the hub, how many teeth is the rear sprocket supposed to have? I can't seem to find a straight answer. I see stuff ranging from 18-20 in different places.

Thanks for the information on the hub, how many teeth is the rear sprocket supposed to have? I can't seem to find a straight answer. I see stuff ranging from 18-20 in different places.

Welcome! I love the boogie van in your avatar, too! Anyway, anywhere from even 16, 17 to 22 tooth is reasonable - it really just comes down to your preference and riding style. They are easy to swap out and Bendix cogs are readily available.

Lastly, I wonder if your chainguard is from a '99 re-issue? Not a big deal but it doesn't quite look like the 70s one to me.

thanks for responding, I found an 18 tooth bendix 70 that I went ahead and ordered. I'll try that one out and see. I think you're right on the chain guard. One of my friends that's into Krate's said the same thing, I'm going to eventually try and find an original but I want to get the bike together first. As for the S2 rim, were all the Schwinn rims stamped or were there some that weren't? I found a 5 speed rear rim S2 but it's unstamped. Not sure if it's a repop or what.

I think all the S2s were stamped but I could be wrong. Is it knurled? If it has a 5 speed freewheel hub it wouldn't be repop-that's some vintage stuff.
The 70 hub isn't technically factory-correct either so if this wheel's a good price - go for it!

I'm wanting to go factory correct. So what hub is factory correct? here's the pics of the rim. I don't see any knurling.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600b.jpg
s-l1600c.jpg
s-l1600d.jpg
s-l1600e.jpg

I don't really see any knurling either. I believe correct would be a side stamped S2 with center knurling but be prepared to pay. Correct hub would be a Bendix red band coaster.

Back