When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Schwinn Apple coaster Krate build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ChiknCoop

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good afternoon! I've been bitten by the bug of vintage muscle bikes. I grew up with a Stingray and loved it. Years later I ended up with a bike from an estate sale and now just a few months into messing around with it I now have a 70 Schwinn coaster krate. I really have zero knowledge about krates, but have been reading threads and articles relentlessly. So as for the Krate, I kinda stumbled into it on ebay and bought it. I didnt know that there was even a coaster model, so that's an indication of how new I am to the vintage schwinn thing. According to the serial numbers it was manufactured in October of 1970. there aren't any witness marks to show a shifter mount, but it looks like there was a bendix brake mounted, also from what I can tell the frame resembles the way the coaster versions look. I've been collecting parts that are 1970 specific or vintage so far. Here's the Frame, crank, and chainguard as I bought it.
IMG_2316.jpg

Thanks for the information on the hub, how many teeth is the rear sprocket supposed to have? I can't seem to find a straight answer. I see stuff ranging from 18-20 in different places.

Thanks for the information on the hub, how many teeth is the rear sprocket supposed to have? I can't seem to find a straight answer. I see stuff ranging from 18-20 in different places.

Welcome! I love the boogie van in your avatar, too! Anyway, anywhere from even 16, 17 to 22 tooth is reasonable - it really just comes down to your preference and riding style. They are easy to swap out and Bendix cogs are readily available.

Lastly, I wonder if your chainguard is from a '99 re-issue? Not a big deal but it doesn't quite look like the 70s one to me.

thanks for responding, I found an 18 tooth bendix 70 that I went ahead and ordered. I'll try that one out and see. I think you're right on the chain guard. One of my friends that's into Krate's said the same thing, I'm going to eventually try and find an original but I want to get the bike together first. As for the S2 rim, were all the Schwinn rims stamped or were there some that weren't? I found a 5 speed rear rim S2 but it's unstamped. Not sure if it's a repop or what.

I think all the S2s were stamped but I could be wrong. Is it knurled? If it has a 5 speed freewheel hub it wouldn't be repop-that's some vintage stuff.
The 70 hub isn't technically factory-correct either so if this wheel's a good price - go for it!

I'm wanting to go factory correct. So what hub is factory correct? here's the pics of the rim. I don't see any knurling.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600b.jpg
s-l1600c.jpg
s-l1600d.jpg
s-l1600e.jpg

I don't really see any knurling either. I believe correct would be a side stamped S2 with center knurling but be prepared to pay. Correct hub would be a Bendix red band coaster.

Back