When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Schwinn Racer for sale

-
This is actually a 1971 Racer, last year available as evidenced by the 1 year only chain guard graphics. It also sports the early 1971 clear reflector pedals. I used to make the trek up to NYC every Thanksgiving to visit family, if I still made the trip I would take my carrier along and snag this beauty.

The serial number comes back as December 1970, so I assumed this was one of the first manufactured 1971 models. Maybe they started manufacturing earlier than the actual model year? It really is in great condition. I’m quite surprised really - it still has the original tires and none of the bearings had ever been taken apart or degreased... I don’t think it had been ridden much at all!

That's definitely a nice clean example. The date associated with the serial number is the date the number was stamped on the bike's component before being used to build a frame. The serial date does not tell you the build date, that happened sometime later. The usual model year change over for Schwinn started with November stamped serials and when Schwinn actually started building those bikes is anyone's guess. A Dec 70 serial bike was most likely built sometime early in 71.

1572194595509.png

Last edited:
Back