When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Schwinn Super Sport - correct bars and brake levers?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DrRumack80

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I recently got my March, 1970 Super Sport back. This will be a Winter project to put it back to its original configuration. I have all of the original parts that were swapped out when it was converted to a tourist, except for the bars/stem/brake levers. The originals were mislaid and it appears unlikely I will be getting them back.

I found and purchased what appears to be the correct AVA stem (seller's pic). It says AVA on top and is not hollow behind the wedge bolt.

What bars are correct for this bike? Are they AVA bars? I remember the originals were very curved at the tops and seemed to slope down. They were rather narrow too, maybe 38-39cm

Are the brake levers Weinmann/Schwinn Approved with quick releases? I have a set from a later Schwinn road bike with gold-colored quick releases. I don't remember the originals having gold quick releases

Many thanks for any help!

20221105_172637.jpg

super ava stem.jpg

20221105_172857.jpg

Last edited:
-----

verify that stem correct diameter for the .833 steerer

verify that stem clamp correct diameter for the correct pattern bar

pedals should be Atom model 440 rather than Union model 40U

here is a correct example with lots of good imagery -

1670601606480.png

-----

Perfect! That thread is a goldmine of information. I have the original Atom pedals, complete with the Schwinn-approved toe clips/straps, as well as the long cage Huret rear derailleur. The grease in the pedals has solidified, so an overhaul will be necessary.

The brake levers on that blue SS appear to have the quick releases with buttons and they are silver, matching the lever. I just bought this bar/stem/lever combo on Ebay, that came off a 1969 Varsity. The brake levers look identical to the ones on the blue SS, with the integrated silver quick releases. Bonus item is the Sierra Brown tape on the bars.

69 VARSITY BAR.jpg

69 VARSITY BAR1.jpg

20181205_221107.jpg

Last edited:
-----

good to read! 😉

sounds like all is well sorted.

pedal note -

1970 was the last full year for the threaded alloy dustcaps with the slot on the Atom model 440

during 1971 they changed to the type with the smooth chrome dustcap which is press fit

-----

-----

-----

good to read! 😉

sounds like all is well sorted.

pedal note -

1970 was the last full year for the threaded alloy dustcaps with the slot on the Atom model 440

during 1971 they changed to the type with the smooth chrome dustcap which is press fit

-----

-----
Thanks! I'll check that before taking them apart. The Atom pedals came off of this bike originally. Hopefully they are the correct earlier units with the threaded caps.

One thing I noticed is that while both rims are Weinmann alloy 27", the rear has dimpled spoke holes. Perhaps a replacement rim was laced to the old hub, as the date codes on the Schwinn-Approved France hubs are correct for the bike "1-70" and "4-69". (Assuming 1 = Jan Feb Mar and 4 = Oct Nov Dec)

-----

sounds like you are doing most excellently without any advice from others! 😉

my guess would be that the dimpled rim is the later of the two.

another check you could make would be the spoke heads.

Schwinn Approved spokes were made by Union Frondenberg and carry their logo on the heads.

you could check to see if the spokes on the front and rear wheels appear to be the same.

-----

Thanks! The thread with the blue Super Sport that you posted filled in the blanks nicely! I think you are right about the rims. The front rim matches the ones on the blue Super Sport exactly. I'll check the spokes as you suggested. At this point, the replacement is part of the bike's history and I'll leave it -probably been on there for 40 years or more.

I just need to sort out the correct bars. I'm guessing that with an AVA stem, the correct bars are probably AVA also.

Thanks! The thread with the blue Super Sport that you posted filled in the blanks nicely! I think you are right about the rims. The front rim matches the ones on the blue Super Sport exactly. I'll check the spokes as you suggested. At this point, the replacement is part of the bike's history and I'll leave it -probably been on there for 40 years or more.

I just need to sort out the correct bars. I'm guessing that with an AVA stem, the correct bars are probably AVA also.

-----

yes, noticed that the bar on the stem/bar set you purchased appears to be steel while that of the blue example appears to be alloy.

was slightly surprised to see that it is Maes pattern. would have expected a randonneur bend. just goes to show me faulty "memory." 🙄

stem tip -

most AVA brand stems encountered "in the field" will exhibit 25.0mm clamps for french dimension AVA bars.

ones contract supplied to Schwinn would have 25.4mm clamps.

mismatches at this location can be unsafe.

-----

-----

yes, noticed that the bar on the stem/bar set you purchased appears to be steel while that of the blue example appears to be alloy.

was slightly surprised to see that it is Maes pattern. would have expected a randonneur bend. just goes to show me faulty "memory." 🙄

stem tip -

most AVA brand stems encountered "in the field" will exhibit 25.0mm clamps for french dimension AVA bars.

ones contract supplied to Schwinn would have 25.4mm clamps.

mismatches at this location can be unsafe.

-----
Interesting. I just assumed that Schwinn used an AVA bar/stem combo.

The bars I purchased are off of a 1969 Varsity. I purchased them primarily for the brake levers and the Sierra Brown tape.

If I remember correctly, this Super Sport takes a 1" 22.2 quill. I think they switched to the narrower 21.1 in 1971. 1970 was also the last year for the chrome fork and Huret dropouts on the Super Sport

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for this information on the fork/headset/stem sizes.

Have more experience with the slightly later ones which were assembled with the contract supplied forks from Japan with the .833 steerers.

When mentally picturing the Continental/Super Sport/Sports Tourer models of the early 1970's I see them as coming with the GB stem/bar sets bearing the Schwinn "S" marking.

Philippe does the same thing as AVA apparently did. Stems which are supplied with 22.2mm quills also have 25.4mm clamps rather than the metric dimension 25.0mm clamps.

Here are closeup pictures of a fork from a 1966 Super Sport. The crown is NERVEX pattern Nr. 6 and the ends are Huret forged Nr. 234 & Nr. 235.

-----

Back