When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Schwinn Super Sport - correct bars and brake levers?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice! I've never seen that particular fork before. Here are some quick shots of mine. Huret forged rear dropouts, but the fork crown is different and the dropouts are not Huret. It matches the fork of the blue '70 SS. Serial is C70204 -204th frame of March, 1970.

In '71, they went to the painted forks and stamped rear dropouts

20221210_114310.jpg

20221210_114612.jpg

20221210_114905.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Thank you.

Your crown appears Tange.

Should you have occasion to repack headset it shall afford opportunity to examine steerer. There may be as many as three markings. Possibles include JIS, Tange and T6. Crown race seat may exhibit distinctive vertical splines.

Suspect fork contract supplied by Tange, who would have been the maker of the blades, steerer, crown and ends.

-----

Last edited:
Here is a Sierra brown Super Sport that I picked up several years ago…..

View attachment 1749891

View attachment 1749892

View attachment 1749893

-----

Thanks for sharing your example.

Interesting to note it exhibits the early type Atom 440 pedal.

1971 was a transition year for this component - old stocks being used up before the newer variation put into use.

Also interesting to see that the GB stem/bar set came with a Maes pattern bend rather than the Randonneur one.

1971 evidently the first model year for Schwinn use of GB.

-----

The headset was overhauled by my LBS within the last few years. Never thought to check for markings on the steerer at the time. It's easy enough to take apart, though. I have to loosen the headset anyway, as quick release cable hangers were added front and rear when the bike was converted to a tourist. Fortunately, the originals were retained.

Nice '71 Super Sport! Sierra Brown is one of those colors that just captures the feel of the 70's, IMHO. As Juvela mentioned, yours has some interesting parts with the transition. I don't recall seeing GB Maes pattern bars on a Super Sport before. CG is definitely March, 1971

That still leaves the mystery of what bars were used on the '69 / '70 Super Sports. Keeping my fingers crossed that the original bars/stem/levers for this bike turn up!

-----

AFAIK all-rounder was an established generic term prior to GB offering of stems & bars

GB got its start manufacturing aluminum patio furniture

---

Here is a vintage catalogue page showing some AVA bends -

-----
Very cool! Thanks for posting.

I did some searching around - the handlebars on this 1967 Super Sport are an exact match for the originals to my '70 Super Sport.

Do you think these are AVA bars? The stem on the '67 is an AVA.

I found these AVA bars on the auction site - the bend seems to match the ones on the '67, but the photos are not at the best angles. The last image is from the 1969 Schwinn catalog, for the Super Sport.

vintage-1967-schwinn-super-sport_1_c771e95f7f4ee0c44910fbefa23926ab5.jpg

vintage-1967-schwinn-super-sport_1_c771e95f7f4ee0c44910fbefa23926ab.jpg

ava1.jpg

ava2.jpg

ava3.jpg

ava4.jpg

1969_schwinn_Super Sport.jpg

Last edited:
Back