When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970s Fillet-Brazed Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hopkintonbike

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just spoke to a gentleman this morning about a 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer he is selling and at some point in the discussion, he mentioned that there was a "crack" in the paint at the brazed fillet where the down and head tubes meet, I have been looking for a SS or Superior from this period and just curious, is there history of fillet weakness in these frames or are we talking about frame flexing and possible paint finish failure? Is this something I should be looking for? Todd

Just spoke to a gentleman this morning about a 1972 Kool Lemon Sports Tourer he is selling and at some point in the discussion, he mentioned that there was a "crack" in the paint at the brazed fillet where the down and head tubes meet, I have been looking for a SS or Superior from this period and just curious, is there history of fillet weakness in these frames or are we talking about frame flexing and possible paint finish failure? Is this something I should be looking for? Todd

If the bike isn't too far away , go look at it . Bring a magnifying glass..................:oops: That bike looks best in that color ( I.M.H.O. ) :grinning:

-----

It could be just the result of a small gas bubble.

The contact area of the joint on these is so great there would be no danger of failure without an impact.

If you go to visit the bicycle you can easily inspect for any impact deformation...

From my experience, would guess it to be cosmetic only.

-----

Here are pics of the paint "crack" If you look very carefully it almost looks like the paint on either side of the crack itself is "bubbling" off the fillet, thoughts??

LeftSide (002).jpg

RightSide (002).jpg

-----

This is enough that I would really wish to examine the balance of the machine:

spots such as top tube to head tube junction

fork crown to steerer junction

---

If you look closely at first image you can see where some brass was added to the top of the joint - either at the end of brazing or afterward.

The joint has clearly received "a little extra work", either at the factory or subsequently.

---

With these two photos as the only information I would pass.

---

This is the sort of imperfection where the machine could be ridden hard for years without it ever developing further...or it could fail in an instant.

Failure risk of course greater if rider large/heavy.

-----

Last edited:
Back