1970's Sears Spyder - need catalog pic

Discussion in 'Schwinn Stingrays and Other Muscle Bikes' started by bikemonkey, Oct 21, 2017.

1. #1 Posted Oct 21, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

North Carolina , Albemarle, NC, United States
    Hi folks,

I posted this thread in the BMX forum a couple of days ago and should have posted it here.

I recently picked this Spyder up in a nearby area - Ser. No. 502459510248991. Thinking it was made by Murray?

It looks like it's in very good condition - just dust, no rust! 24" wheels with a 1.75" Carlisle red striped rim/tire in back and 1 3/8" up front - crazy town.

Seat is perfect - the shifter knob was probably black but looks great as it is. All other parts seem to be correct and present.

Found a lot of info online, other advert. pics all around it and I am building a research album. I would love to find a catalog pic of this exact model but no luck after several hours searching. Can anyone help?

I understand part of the serial number was included in their ads and helps nail down the catalog year.

Thanks!

spyder-jpg.jpg

JimK and fordmike65 like this.
  2. #2 Posted Oct 22, 2017

Nice find! I think that is about a 1969. I believe they used the SR style head badge around that time.

For catalog pictures, try the website Wishbookweb. You can search old scanned catalogs there. Hope that helps!

bikemonkey likes this.
  3. #3 Posted Oct 22, 2017

4. #4 Posted Oct 22, 2017

North Carolina , Albemarle, NC, United States
    Man, you are awesome! That is the exact pic I needed and you helped nail a catalog date!!

partsguy likes this.