When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970s Viscount With No Death Fork

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rhenning

I live for the CABE
I found this on Friday at a garage sale. Very nice original. It has several up grades including the death fork is no longer on the bike. Rides very nice and is very light.

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

looks like it was ridden very little until it was modified. They do have a fan club, though, cast aluminum fork and all.

The thing that would be fun to see on that bike is their TA crankset with chain ring cutouts. I understand they had their own non-taper square-ended spindle to go with their proprietary TA cranks, which they manufactured in house under license.
aaP3030001.jpg

(this is a TA ProVis on my modified Raleigh Grand Prix)
btw, the Viscount frame is very similar to a TI-tubed Raleigh, though the Raleigh would be set up more on the touring end of sport-tourer.

Very nice paint, and its definitely set up to ride....

Last edited:
The crank you are talking about was a TA looking clone done in house by the manufacturer not a real TA. I have another Lambert/Viscount that has the TA look alike crank on it. They also make their own crank spindles with pressed in sealed roller bearings but they were a standard taper on the ends. Viscount also made their own hubs which also used sealed roller bearings. I will take some pictures of the other one if I get a chance. Roger

seems there are a dozen theories regarding the Viscount and Lambert association with TA and what makes them different.
(and certainly not questioning your knowledge of the facts)
The curious thing is Lambert foils exactly duplicate the TA foils. At one time I had repro Lambert of England foils on my TA crank to enhance the whole Anglophile (phrogphobia) package.
b79694b0-b8ac-4c1f-97d0-9c5f43fbd558.jpg
04e1995f-6734-47ac-9349-055d8f4e3e6e.jpg

Last edited:
You could be right and here are a couple of pictures of the other one I own which was a repaint when I bought it. The crank is close but not exactly the same. Roger

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

I like these as well and could not pass on one a little while back. Neat bikes with an interesting history.

You could be right and here are a couple of pictures of the other one I own which was a repaint when I bought it. The crank is close but not exactly the same. Roger

View attachment 325019

View attachment 325020

View attachment 325021

View attachment 325022

View attachment 325023
but all that's obviously different about the crank are the rings and adding an outer bcd (part of the outer ring) - the two inner bcd are the same, and you could assemble the crank arms using stock TA rings.
BTW, if you want those Lambert of England crank arm foils, Cyclomondo can make them

There is also a huge selection of rings and spiders out there that will fit the crank arms, including Rene Herse (Compass) and Sun XCD

Back