When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Crescent

-
Hey Juvela, would the Rampinelli be stock for this bike? Haven’t really had the chance to get very deep into the 320 yet. Did notice that the pump head is Campangolo. Thanks, Kevin

These pics were taken after picking up at the Portland swap last summer and before a clean up. I will try to get some more pics of this one and my other to help with any comparisons.
Nice bike. Like the bar shifter upgrade.

I need to find an Ideale 90 saddle and campagnolo shifters to return mine to spec.

Either way I like the orange frame and og components.

-----

Hey Juvela, would the Rampinelli be stock for this bike? Haven’t really had the chance to get very deep into the 320 yet. Did notice that the pump head is Campangolo. Thanks, Kevin
---

yes Kevin, OEM, that is how they came

hence me puzzlement at the presence of the Arregui on John's example

---

John -

to be really correct your T&B should be the one with the black painted rails

steel framed ones were done with both black painted rails and with chrome plated rails

MCB used the black

---

readers might be interested to know that MCB maintained a facility in Brasil

here is an image of a Brasilian produced machine:

note that it wears a Monark transfer on the top tube yet the downtube carries MCB's third marque: SKANDIA

the Brasilian operation is discussed in this forum thread:

there is a current discussion thread over at BF on a Brasil produced Crescent:

includes a closeup of the Briga one-piece chainset

---

John & Kevin -

the model 319 at the time of your examples used the same frame as your machines but was kitted differently:

Stronglight model 93 chainset

Campag NR gear ensemble

Campag Nuovo Tipo hubs, tubular wheels

MAFAC Racer brakeset

Lyotard pedals

plain saddle pillar

T&B model 80 saddle

-----

Here is my other Crescent which I think may be a model 317?? Looks like the ad pic…. All the components on this one are dated 1972. Bought from the original owner’s son. I think it may still be pretty much original. Even the tires look to be, possibly, original. The mileage is documented. Apparently the owner rode this and then went to a Fuji with stem shifters to make it easier on him. Maybe even original bar tape and rubber hoods? Interesting that this Suntour equipped model has Suntour dropouts in the back but Campangolo in the front. Also the serial number is 4995545. pretty far off from what I believe is my 320, 1971/72 model? Noticed the serial number is stamped in the reverse direction also. Also wondering if different models actually had different head badges? Appreciate any input. Enjoy trying to solve history mysteries.

Stamp on the bottom of the bottle. Sorry didn’t have a closeup of the wheels. Pump fittings and top cable fittings are all Reg

B2096E26-23D0-4D13-9C67-B29C4B013ECB.jpeg

-----

thank you

REG (Rampinelli) brake cable clips are exactly what I would have expected

had attempted to enlarge the images of both machines to make an ID but just not eno' pixels present 😉

(either that or me image massaging savvy too poor)

AL-E is a marque belonging to the firm Allara

they are a maker of toe clips, toe straps, bottle holders, bottles & likely something else am forgetting

at VB the company's produce is enumerated as "Ale"

during the 1960's Schwinn included some Allara products in their Schwinn Sprint range of accessories

-----

Last edited:
Your version of SunTour Spirt FD was 1966 to 75, your RD appeared in 1971.
Looks like your shifter are ratcheted Suntour Power shifters LD-1500, which were on my 1976 Raleigh.
The freewheel, SunTour Perfect PT-5000
Rims - I would be looking at Rigida - 1320 if they're 27", 1319 if they're 700C.

Last edited:
-----

had completely missed the posting of this machine

am doing battle with a very balky browser today

headset is a proprietary design described as being made by Agrati in company materials

Canetti tyres are OEM & tubulars

the Schwinn badged cyclometer is a MATEX product
originals were produced in France
at a certain point production was moved to Japan
they were also sold private labelled as Sears

production life was relatively long so there are variations in the body and finish
do not know years produced

wheel rims -

am no longer able to recall the brand which would have been employed here; at a distance of a half century some details are yet recallable whilst others seem to have gone to vapour

the Rigida 1319 & 1320 model rims are wired-on models

the hubs are of course Campag Nuovo Tipo large flange 36 hole with a 120mm OLD for the rear and a 100mm OLD dimension for the front; product number 1266 & 1267 -

the cycle's MAEDA Perfect gear block is a relatively early one; one year or so after the cycle's manufacture the colour of the finish on the cogs changed from dark grey/off-black to caramel

pedals ae KKT/Kyukoto Top Run model

crank arm length of the machine's Sugino Maxy chainset is likely to be 171mm

would be curious to know the drop on the MAEDA gear hanger; usually it is 32mm but this looks like it might be 26mm

-----

Back