When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Crescent

-
Thanks both Bulldog and Juvela for your information. Not trying to hijack the original posting, just trying to compare a lot of details on these machines so that we can perhaps better identify specific years. Did do some research on the Suntour components, as I knew very little on that subject. Bulldog I was able to locate some findings on another forum on dating these components. I am posting closeups of the derailleur dates as well as the freewheel. Hopefully this info will help some. Any info on serial numbers and head badges could be helpful to a lot of owners. I believe this 317 to be very close to all original. Going to leave it as is for a historical reference.

74FA7370-C8B7-4F40-93A9-22254F0483A2.jpeg

4C0741B6-2372-4960-A38F-9EA42EB93FBC.jpeg

8BBA03D4-4596-4B6C-A36A-0F099EE984FF.jpeg

0ECA060B-F8DA-4A75-B186-DFAF1C999EDB.jpeg

The OG, OF and OC would all indicate that these components are 1972 manufactured. This seems to be consistent with the rest of the bike. Serial number still is somewhat a mystery.

-----

background note -

as you look at manufacturer materials and consumer owned examples posted online you may discover small kitting variations

the three machines discussed thus far in the thread all hail from "the boom" of the early seventies when backordering, parts shortages and substitutions were very much the norm

also, Varberg is distant from the cycle production centres of Antwerp, Milano & St. Etienne so probably not high on component manufacturer priority lists

-----

Sorry to be late on this thread; I must have been sleeping that month. I just wanted to add some more serial # info. I received a 320 bike on trade with some OE Campy parts (FD, RD, crankset/BB). Cranks and and RD dated 1973; was told it is a 1974(?) bike, but 3rd hand info. Here is the serial #4500711. It has Dia Compe "Gran Compe" brakeset so definitely replacement parts there. Hubs may be OE too come to think of it; I need to check if I haven't already separated them from the frame.

Back