When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Garelli Baby Mosquito

-
That's really interesting- and too bad the mosquitos are so rare. I've done several China Girl builds since 2009- and soon began to favor the 50cc motors over the 66cc, for my mild urban riding here in Jacksonville- which is almost never more than 3 or 4 miles out anyway. As an old road racer, it seems to me that the bikes have surpassed the technology long ago, but the motor guys are always going for more displacement and power and speed and usually don't know a lot about cycling otherwise (the insults they direct at the "spandex crowd"!)
Anyway, with a light frame, and good touring narrow rims, the 50 cc- originally built for the heavy cruiser scene- and the 66 following after that- is more than enough to get good speeds fore urban transport- while electrics are being priced through the roof and batteries are still unreliable and expensive.I've been putting forth the notion of a smaller China Girl- and 35 or 33 was about the size I'd like to see: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61064
I am "Nashville Cat"

So is this mosquito 2 or 4 cycle? And what about the noise? Are you familiar with China Girls enough to compare? (That's one reason I like the 50cc- quieter and less vibration- and I still get over 25 mph on it) Is it about the same level as a moped?

thanks
Below- with the old Rupp mini bike circa 1969

minibikePurdue.jpg

minibike sign.jpg

Well here's one I found on youtube, and there are other vids too!
Click on the title to go to the youtube page

That's really interesting- and too bad the mosquitos are so rare. I've done several China Girl builds since 2009- and soon began to favor the 50cc motors over the 66cc, for my mild urban riding here in Jacksonville- which is almost never more than 3 or 4 miles out anyway. As an old road racer, it seems to me that the bikes have surpassed the technology long ago, but the motor guys are always going for more displacement and power and speed and usually don't know a lot about cycling otherwise (the insults they direct at the "spandex crowd"!)
Anyway, with a light frame, and good touring narrow rims, the 50 cc- originally built for the heavy cruiser scene- and the 66 following after that- is more than enough to get good speeds fore urban transport- while electrics are being priced through the roof and batteries are still unreliable and expensive.I've been putting forth the notion of a smaller China Girl- and 35 or 33 was about the size I'd like to see: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61064
I am "Nashville Cat"

So is this mosquito 2 or 4 cycle? And what about the noise? Are you familiar with China Girls enough to compare? (That's one reason I like the 50cc- quieter and less vibration- and I still get over 25 mph on it) Is it about the same level as a moped?

thanks
Below- with the old Rupp mini bike circa 1969

Last edited:
All of the Mosquito engines are 2 cycle friction drive and will do a top speed of 21MPH, averaging around 150MPG and have a low noise level.
The 38A was made from around 1947 to 1949 and is 38cc
The 38B was made from around 1950 to 1952 and is 49cc
The Baby Mosquito, with automatic clutch, was made from 1966 to 1974 with three different modifications (early had kick-stand bosses, mid had widder cylinder fins & a lighting coil, late had a smaller magneto cover and even more surface area added to the fins with the space gained by using a smaller magneto cover.
The Baby Mosquito with manual clutch was made in the 1980's and uses a CDI ignition. Garelli discontinued production in the mid to late 1980's. All of the Baby Mosquito's are 35cc.

Both of my bikes, pictured in earlier posts, are Baby Mosquitos. The black bike is a 1971 and the green bike is a 1973.

Last edited:
Back