When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Kool Orange Schwinn Sports Tourer

-
Very nice! That appears to be an early '71 due to the pedal eye plugs I see on the TA crankset. I see the original freewheel was one of the missing original parts. That is significant in that the 1971 models had a unique freewheel and the one you have selected to install was used from '72-'74. The Sports Tourer only used Model J (J = Japan, made by Shimano) freewheels, however for '71 only they used a different freewheel body with a screw on outer chainguard (aka top protector). For '72 and later the freewheel body and top protector were changed to a snap-ring installation, while the cogs remained the same. For '75 only the cogs were modified to have cutouts reducing the weight.
Yes on that! '71 is one year only with the awesone 28-104 gears and the treaded top protector. The '71 catalog touts that it is the widest gear range ever offered on any road bike.
Very nice! That appears to be an early '71 due to the pedal eye plugs I see on the TA crankset. I see the original freewheel was one of the missing original parts. That is significant in that the 1971 models had a unique freewheel and the one you have selected to install was used from '72-'74. The Sports Tourer only used Model J (J = Japan, made by Shimano) freewheels, however for '71 only they used a different freewheel body with a screw on outer chainguard (aka top protector). For '72 and later the freewheel body and top protector were changed to a snap-ring installation, while the cogs remained the same. For '75 only the cogs were modified to have cutouts reducing the weight.

Back