When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Kool Orange Schwinn Sports Tourer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It looks like the bike in the catalog photo has a set of chrome steel handlebars (the GB bars have a flare to them) and some chrome steel rat traps. The crankset looks a little different also. Early catalog photo prototypes were known for this but I just thought it was interesting enough to note.
fcb9445d5a3917955975c7e2a4f2555c.jpg
a7e0fbdacc081fe71b1096df61fcdb90.jpg

It looks like the bike in the catalog photo has a set of chrome steel handlebars (the GB bars have a flare to them) and some chrome steel rat traps.

Note that 1971 Sports Tourer catalog picture was taken on Friday September 11th 1970 at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel on the big island in Hawaii by the legendary Hollywood photographer Sid Avery! Unfortunately they spelled the name of the hotel incorrectly in the catalog...

Good call on the pedals. The bars are probably the same maes style alloy bars as were used on the Continental in '70 and earlier.
The crankset looks a little different also...

The crankset in the catalog pic is the same 36-54T TA Pro 5 vis 170mm crank arms with Cyclotouriste chainrings as was used on the Sports Tourer from the beginning of production (Feb. '71) through mid-November '71, however it is missing the inner ramp ring as found on production models. That makes it look quite empty in the middle, as seen on the identically configured example in the following pic:

TA-36-54_T1.jpg

Last edited:
very nice! you can't beat that orange paint. I didn't even know Schwinn made any type of 10 speed but the Continentals and Varsity's my friends all had in the 70's until recently. when I bought my first new real road bike in 1983 I didn't even think of going to the Schwinn shop.

Back