When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Kool Orange Schwinn Sports Tourer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Thanks so much for sharing this find & project!

What beautiful work.

She were no this shiny when ex-works. ;)

Had to put on me Persols to view the photo of the 440's.

---

Small tip regarding the stern mech -

In case bike will be a "rider" for you you might wish to keep an eye on this...

The Campagnolo Gran Turismo rear mech Nr. 2270 has a design weakness. The spring in the upper housing is quite strong and is anchored at one end by a thin washer with a hole for the spring end. The washer in turn is anchored by a single tooth. The spring is so strong it usually shears off the washer's tooth rendering the spring ineffectual. Unlike most Campagnolo components no spares for the mechanism were ever offered and no catalogue from the maker illustrates a parts drawing for it. If this goes out it may be necesaary to frabricate a more robutst replacement.

Have a drawerfull of these mechs in my workshop all with this problem. :anguished:

Page from the manufacturer's supplemental catalogue of 1971 -

11ty2kn.jpg

---

Am thinking that 1971 was about the last year for the black oxide finish on Atom and Normandy Sport axle parts. Beginning about 1972-73 Maillard went to a satin plated finish for them. The black oxide would seem preferable since it offers no flaking to get into the grease and constitute a grinding compound for the bearing races.

@Metacortex is sure to have the exact scoop on this.

---

Do any readers know if replacement transfers for T.A. crankarms are available?

-----

-----

Thanks so much for sharing this find & project!

What beautiful work.

She were no this shiny when ex-works. ;)

Had to put on me Persols to view the photo of the 440's.

---

Small tip regarding the stern mech -

In case bike will be a "rider" for you you might wish to keep an eye on this...

The Campagnolo Gran Turismo rear mech Nr. 2270 has a design weakness. The spring in the upper housing is quite strong and is anchored at one end by a thin washer with a hole for the spring end. The washer in turn is anchored by a single tooth. The spring is so strong it usually shears off the washer's tooth rendering the spring ineffectual. Unlike most Campagnolo components no spares for the mechanism were ever offered and no catalogue from the maker illustrates a parts drawing for it. If this goes out it may be necesaary to frabricate a more robutst replacement.

Have a drawerfull of these mechs in my workshop all with this problem. :anguished:

Page from the manufacturer's supplemental catalogue of 1971 -

View attachment 918237

---

Am thinking that 1971 was about the last year for the black oxide finish on Atom and Normandy Sport axle parts. Beginning about 1972-73 Maillard went to a satin plated finish for them. The black oxide would seem preferable since it offers no flaking to get into the grease and constitute a grinding compound for the bearing races.

@Metacortex is sure to have the exact scoop on this.

---

Do any readers know if replacement transfers for T.A. crankarms are available?

-----

Cyclomondo has them.

Fantastic resto! You are correct, the feeling you get after completion is a high. Kool orange and Opaque green are the two Sports Tourer bikes in 26" size I desire most. I've currently restored a sky blue '75 and halfway through a '74 Opaque Red. A '71 Sierra Brown waits patiently.

Fantastic resto! You are correct, the feeling you get after completion is a high. Kool orange and Opaque green are the two Sports Tourer bikes in 26" size I desire most. I've currently restored a sky blue '75 and halfway through a '74 Opaque Red. A '71 Sierra Brown waits patiently.
Thanks for the kind words. Seems we have similar taste. My stable consists of this Kool Orange ST, an Opaque Green ST, a Lime ST, a Sky Blue ST, a Silver Mist ST, a 77 Black Superior, a 62 Violet Superior, and a 68 Sierra Brown Super Sport. Love the filet brazed stuff.

I'd love to find a minty Opaque Red and Sierra Brown ST one day.

Whoa..impressive one-year only color collection. No burgundy? LOL
Yes, my Opaque Red ST is an unusual one. Obviously not ridden and hidden for 40+ years. Black decals, bar-end shifters, and brake levers off a Paramount.
20210815_072706_copy_887x665.jpg

The Sierra Brown is also in great condition, but it is for short ppl at 24" frame. :)

20201024_080151_copy_931x698.jpg

Last edited:
i had a paramount in this color i loved the color alas it was too big for me ,i sold the frame to a fellow passing thru greensboro who was involved in a hi speed shunt which destroyed his bike which was an orange paramount unbelieveable. now thats fate if their ever was a moment ! i believe it was the hand of God i went thru Dale Brown who owned toga bike shop <now cycles de oreo > to have a mcclean frame built which i still have with all the paramounts parts fitted except the seat which was fitted with a brown titanium railed brooks way before they became marketed in mass my blue mcclean is still listed on the mclean website.it was one of the things in my life that all worked out for the good of all involved ,sorry i got so off track but i still love this color on a bike you have to admit its a handsome color

Back