When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Orange Krate

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ccl088

On Training Wheels
I bought a Krate recently and am in the process of restoring. The guy I bought it from has had it for 27 years and swore he NEVER touched it from the first day he got it.

I have questions about a couple of things on it.

1) The derailleur is a Shimano "Eagle 2" (roman numeral 2).

2) The Pedals are "UNION" -made in Germany

I haven't seen any other Krates with this derailleur OR pedals. Then again, I haven't seen many except what's on the internet. LOL

What do you experts think? Did they ONLY come one way, all the same brand stuff like Schwinn Derailleurs and Schwinn Pedals?

Thanks

Last edited:
The derailleur and pedals are not original to the bike. Post more details and some pics and we should be able to tell you more.

Well I ordered a correct GT 100 Derailleur and I have seen many Krates with the same pedal but with the Schwinn cross. But on my pedals, you would't be able to see the cross anyway because the area is worn down. So i'm going to clean them up and use them.

The Shimano-built GT-100 was not used on the Krate in '71. That year it was used on Suburban and Collegiate 5-speed models along with a 14-32T wide-range cluster. In '71 the Krate used the Schwinn Approved (Huret built) derailleur (no other designation was used).

you can technically use any derailleur that fits in the dropout on a any bike unless it has a mega range freewheel on it. So the answer would be yes it will work, but not technically original

I'm working on a 69 pea picker for someone right now and it has eagle GTO derailleur on it. I assume that's not correct for this bike either?

Back