When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Paramount P13-9 wheel restoration questions

-
I can confirm that the "Weinmann" rim with the two circles logo behind "Weinmann" is correct for January 1973 and probably 1972, too. It was in Jan 1973 that I went down a sewer grating on my maiden voyage of a new (to me) Raleigh Grand Prix and my dad got me a new rear rim of this type. I became interested in bike mechanics and trued that rim many times, and I remember specifically seeing the Weinmann logo with the circle in the background and wondered what the circle meant. We all know that Schwinn Paramounts had dimpled rims and the circle logo makes the rims much more period correct, imho, since they were offered throughout the 1970s with dimples, and I believe the circle logo is older than the plain boldface "WEINMANN 27 1 1/4" stamped logo.

I own an all-original 1974 Schwinn Paramount P-15-9 in Silver Mist with Unicanitor saddle, barcons, campagnolo brakes, i.e. the full 9-yards. Just FYI my Unicanitor saddle is not pleated like yours, I think that the pleated saddle is probably not correct as it's a very unusual version of the Unicanitor saddle. In 1974 year they were using Araya non-dimpled single-wall rims, a Weinmann 220 copy. I am the second owner of the bike, and have changed nothing, the first owner rode it 150 miles.

View attachment 1051025

Last edited:
Back