When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Paramount P13-9 wheel restoration questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Stuckbolt

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello CABE, I have found my end all be all bike: a '71 Silver Mist Paramount! It is my first Paramount and when I finally found it I was fortunate enough the get it. Now, after she's home, I realized I don't know what I don't know so I am hoping someone here can help. I want to restore the bike stock, and although the hubs appear original, it currently has dark grey MAVIC GT 700 rims. I found a pair of Weinmann 27 x 1 1/4" that I hope are the correct "hollow alloy" rims (hopefully someone can confirm). If so, I am trying to identify the spoke length and source the original type plated spokes (anyone??)
The bigger unknown for me is the tire selection once the rims are correct. I have never heard of a sew up tire. If they are still available in some semblance of the Clementi No. 50, then hopefully someone can tell me who can supply a pair. If they are not available, I am REALLY hoping the original Weinmann rims can accommodate a modern tire and they are not special for sew ups that are no longer made. I would be very interested in matching a modern tire as close as possible to the Clementi sidewall and tread.

Additional bike details:

- Purchased from the original owner with original bill of sale. Northern CA bike. Original paint and decals. Serial # K7194.
- options include 42/52 crank and std. rear sprockets (43 to 100 gear range), Utica Nitor saddle and handlebar mounted controls.
- missing the clips and straps, tool kit, pump and the lower pump bracket (if anyone has these extra items, please let me know!)

Any help is appreciated!

Grey Ghost.JPG

IMG_9922.JPG

IMG_9929.JPG

IMG_9756.PNG

IMG_9758.PNG

Hello CABE, I have found my end all be all bike: a '71 Silver Mist Paramount! It is my first Paramount and when I finally found it I was fortunate enough the get it. Now, after she's home, I realized I don't know what I don't know so I am hoping someone here can help. I want to restore the bike stock, and although the hubs appear original, it currently has dark grey MAVIC GT 700 rims. I found a pair of Weinmann 27 x 1 1/4" that I hope are the correct "hollow alloy" rims (hopefully someone can confirm). If so, I am trying to identify the spoke length and source the original type plated spokes (anyone??)
The bigger unknown for me is the tire selection once the rims are correct. I have never heard of a sew up tire. If they are still available in some semblance of the Clementi No. 50, then hopefully someone can tell me who can supply a pair. If they are not available, I am REALLY hoping the original Weinmann rims can accommodate a modern tire and they are not special for sew ups that are no longer made. I would be very interested in matching a modern tire as close as possible to the Clementi sidewall and tread.

Additional bike details:

- Purchased from the original owner with original bill of sale. Northern CA bike. Original paint and decals. Serial # K7194.
- options include 42/52 crank and std. rear sprockets (43 to 100 gear range), Utica Nitor saddle and handlebar mounted controls.
- missing the clips and straps, tool kit, pump and the lower pump bracket (if anyone has these extra items, please let me know!)

Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 1051018

View attachment 1051020

View attachment 1051021

View attachment 1051025

View attachment 1051026
These look like standard clincher rims, But i could be wrong. The sew on tires are available on fee bay for a price. I hope this helps. good luck. Razin. I think the Michlein tires would work on these rims.

You may consider a pair of Fiamme sew-up rims. Then use Michelin sew-up tires.
I use them on my 1971 Raleigh International. You need a Brooks Professional saddle, too.
You can upgrade to Campy brakes, as well. My Raleigh International has Campy fingertip levers on the handlebars.

These look like standard clincher rims, But i could be wrong. The sew on tires are available on fee bay for a price. I hope this helps. good luck. Razin. I think the Michlein tires would work on these rims.
Thanks for the reply Razin. Can I assume this Weinmann rim design is the same for original sew up and modern tires alike? I will look into the Michelin tire offering for more insight as the answer may soon become obvious. That's why I'm still on training wheels.

You may consider a pair of Fiamme sew-up rims. Then use Michelin sew-up tires.
I use them on my 1971 Raleigh International. You need a Brooks Professional saddle, too.
You can upgrade to Campy brakes, as well. My Raleigh International has Campy fingertip levers on the handlebars.
Wow! sounds like you have a really nice bike. Your comment makes me think there may be a special design feature for a rim to be a sew up rim. If you know that to be true, please look at my photos to tell me if my rims are limited to sew up tires. I want to keep this bike as original as possible, so if these are the correct rims for a 71 P13-9 (with raised bumps at each spoke hole) then I want to use them. From there, I will need to determine what tires I can ride. The tire criteria is to match the original look to the Clementi 50's as close as possible. Hopefully someone out there has done this before!
As far as the Brooks, I am a big fan but I will keep the Utica as it was the optional seat for this model.

That is the coolest Brooks I have ever seen! It is in MINT condition as well. I am believing this Unica - Nitor is original to this bike based on the Schwinn Lightweight Data summary for the '71 P13 - 9. I have never seen another one like it but it matches the description. I am hoping others with this model could confirm one way or another.
1566491112071.png

IMG_9920.JPG

Lots of things to know about regarding rims & tires and wheels. Don’t rush, take your time. Thought out wheels can really add to a bicycles appeal.

Sew up / clinchers are not inner changeable.

With clinchers there are straight sided and hook bead rims, an important detail.

Back