When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Paramount P13-9 wheel restoration questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you really want to know that Paramounts original specifications Richard Schwinn at Waterford bike has most of the old records for Paramounts and will do a pedigree search. There is a charge for that service. Anything else is guessing. Roger

One word on the Waterford provenance report, it'll set you back $50 and the amount of data you get will vary between bikes - I have one for each of mine. One notes "It was spec'ed with sew-up tires, Campy cranks, Campy seatpost, Campy pedals and leather (Brooks B17) saddle...." , while the other just states "spec'ed with sew-up tires, leather saddle and Weinman (sic) 999 brakes." Still, each report has the original order number, build period, who it was sold to and some other small details. Worth it to me to have documentation at any level, especially with Richard's signature.

I have already requested the Waterford provenance report. I agree the more documentation the better and I look forward to the details ( and Richard's signature. ) This post has been a great learning experience for me. I am grateful for all of the input from CABE members. I spend most of the weekend cleaning this bike and setting it up for my first test ride. it was amazing!! I have never ridden such a lightweight bike!

IMG_9982.JPG

I own a late 1973 (J7398) Paramount P13 that I bought brand new in early 1974. I rode it vigorously for about 6 months and then lost my job, so became self employed. Less days off. I have to agree with Giovanni: The Heavy silk Campionati Del Mondo Clement tires ended all my tubular tire problems. I bought 3 on a close out and never had even one failure. At some point my brother built me some new wheels with low flange hubs and I think the silk tires were the quid. Pretty sure my rims were Mavic. Sew ups are about 5/8" smaller diameter than 27x1-1/8 and the P13 was built with very short chainstays, so they may not fit too well. The DIRECT interchange is the 700C rim and tire. My brother also built me a set of those. In the last few months I took off the sew up wheels and put on these 700C's and they fit so perfectly I did not even have to adjust the brake pads. (these are 700Cx25 Hutchinson tires on black Wolber rims. Not exactly modern stuff, but he did it 25 years ago, maybe.) My younger brother, Marvin is just the best bike mechanic in Omaha, but makes his living wrenching on German 4 wheelers. And besides, nobody is keeping track of the money. But yeah, I wish the rims were silver!gbzx
I have a brother in law that bike commutes vast distances and he still uses sew ups. He is fond of Continentals. I think there is no better, responsive tire than a well chosen sew up. But the 700C are now letting me enjoy my baby with a bit less fettling.

The new design sewups are very durable.
I would stick with sewup tires.
I rode for years on my campeonato del mundo sewup tires and never had a blowout. They ride like the wind and have very little rolling resistance. I would also use stainless steel double-butted spokes, from Philwood. They’re very strong and beautiful.

Lots of things to know about regarding rims & tires and wheels. Don’t rush, take your time. Thought out wheels can really add to a bicycles appeal.

Sew up / clinchers are not inner changeable.

With clinchers there are straight sided and hook bead rims, an important detail.
Sew ups interchange with 700c wheels/rims.
27(x 1 1/4) are taller- larger in circumference.
With the pads at the top of the adjusting slot in the caliper, I assume the wheels on it currently are 27's.
Sew ups and 700's would/should likely have the pads in the middle of the caliper hole.
The Weinmann rims in the photo are model 313.
rusty

Nice Paramount in a rare color, I think the Unicantor saddle is not original to the bike, Utica Nitor was a option but that is a different model than the padded version shown. The lower pump clip is built into the pump-end , Campy tip on Imperial pump was the go-to in the day.

Back