When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Raleigh DL-1 Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Those might be re-useable pad holders. The wide opening goes toward the back, and it allows you to slide the pad out and put a new pad in (keep the tight end forward so the pad doesn't push out when you apply the brakes). Kool Stop makes pads for the holders.

Same tires on my 1972...

IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg

The rod brake roadster is the equivalent of the Model T or the VW Bug - mass produced, basic bicycle used all over the world. The Raleigh DL-1 is just one variety, but happens to be the most common in the US because they imported large numbers of them in the 1970s. But the rod brake roadster has been produced continuously in some form or another for well over 100 years now. They still make rod brake roadsters in India, China, and Pakistan, among other places. The rod brake roadster is probably the most-produced type of bicycle in history.

Here's an example of an earlier one - 1935 Hercules Model G

IMG_3007.jpg

And you can still buy new rod brake bikes from the far east today:

PB13%20sin%20pintar.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mean to derail the thread but, how did you find the wheel-mounted bike rack worked with the DL-1? I need to buy a new bike rack for my Jeep. I let my wife have my old one and was thinking of going with rack that holds the bikes at the wheels rather than hanging them by the top-tube. I've got a couple rod brake roadsters that will need to go on the rack sooner or later.

Umberto Dei and Doniselli. Why did they insist on putting the old cheap lighting system on it where it needs to run along the outer edge of the tire??? I know the Dynohub was patented by Raleigh, so using that was out. But really...:eek:

Back