When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Schwinn Grey Ghost

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jason29

On Training Wheels
Good evening! My older brother passed away back in 2012 and when I was cleaning out his house for his son and the family, I came across this Grey Ghost that appears to have been built in October 1971 based on the serial number. I believe my brother had one of these as a child and then bought one at some point in the past when he was an adult. I believe this bike to be an original Grey Ghost and not a replica from doing some research back when he past away. I know there are experts on this forum, so I would welcome your thoughts. I am also curious what a bike like this is worth, as my research online mostly has come up without any good comparisons, but admittedly, I am not an expert in older bicycles and may not be looking in the right place.

I truly appreciate your help!

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2845.jpg

Hard to tell if it’s all original just from pics but the seat does not look to be original. Regardless you should be able to get $2500+ easy for the bike if I had to guess

Looks original to me including the seat. Agreed that $2500+ is not out of the question, looks to be a very nice original bike.

I definitely believe it’s an original from my research on how to tell. Yes, several people sending PM’s about having an interest in it. 😊😂

I know several people in this group reached out to me and said if we decided to sell the Grey Ghost to please let them know. We posted it on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace this afternoon. The link to the Craigslist ad with about 23 pictures is below. I know we are looking for good money for it, but we will come down if it doesn't sell in a few weeks, but in all reality, we are not desperate to sell and if it doesn't bring the right money, we will keep it. I had a few bike dealers email me that similar bikes had sold for $3200 to $4000 from their experience. Nonetheless, I'd love to see it go to a collector who will appreciate it as much as my brother did.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/loveland-1971-schwinn-sting-ray-grey/7366201532.html

Last edited:
Kinda looks too nice to be original paint, to me seat looks redone also imo

In for sale ad in picture where badge is removed if look by bottom bearing cup can see where paint cracked when putting it back together after painting it, factory paint usually doesn't crack like that! Seen quite a few repaints do that but never an original paint job, but could be wrong!

In for sale ad in picture where badge is removed if look by bottom bearing cup can see where paint cracked when putting it back together after painting it, factory paint usually doesn't crack like that! Seen quite a few repaints do that but never an original paint job, but could be wrong!

It’s not impossible it was repainted or had some TLC done to it over the years. Just so everyone is aware, when I say it is an original, I mean not a replica like you have seen in recent years. The paint looks really nice except for few nicks and chips. Will make a nice piece for someone’s collection.

Back