When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Schwinn Paramount

-

Kactus

On Training Wheels
Here is my '71 Paramount I picked up a few months ago.
512947aae85f44ab85d9a34101bcc3f1_zpso6yr-1.jpg

Very nice!
I like the red decals on the yellow paint. I think they look much better than the black decals on the same bike.
Is it a 23" frame?

Very nice!
I like the red decals on the yellow paint. I think they look much better than the black decals on the same bike.
Is it a 23" frame?

I ditto those red decals and the yellow paint. They stand out nicely. Very nice bike.

Brings back memories of when Wayne Stetina came back from the '72 Olympics road race- He was on a USA team bike that same color and size. He had a chrome Cinelli before that. The Team Paramounts were blue then in '76, and he came back with one of those We rode on the same Little 500 bike team is how I know.

Brings back memories of when Wayne Stetina came back from the '72 Olympics road race- He was on a USA team bike that same color and size. He had a chrome Cinelli before that. The Team Paramounts were blue then in '76, and he came back with one of those We rode on the same Little 500 bike team is how I know.
The Team Paramount's in 1976 where silver mist with special red,white and blue decals. I had 4 of these issued to me.

I got to thinking about your statement about Wayne's bike being blue. I worked in Schwinn product engineering and in the research departments in '74-'77. I now remember that we painted a non-Paramount bike of Wayne's, but Paramount decals were applied as he was being sponsored by Schwinn. I don't remember if it was for the 76 Olympics or one of the other years. Perhaps this is the bike you remember.

Highwheel- were your 76 Paramounts road bikes? Wayne might have had his '72 bike repainted and I think he had some dialogue about the bike maybe not being a standard Paramount but specially built. Gee it's been over 40 years. I don't know if it was repainted, bur he was on a yellow Paramount for several yrears and my understanding was that it was his Olympic bike. We trained a lot together for the bike team and I even roomed with him.

I recall the silver Paramount team track bikes of the mid-70's. My parents gave me my silver track Paramount for my 21st birthday in 1975- I can't recall if I had any request over color- but always loved the look even if not a Team Paramount. The rainbow stripes looked good on that color.
The 76 Road Paramounts were powder blue- I recall that from the poster a lot of us had, of the 76 team time trial squad- was it Stetina John Howard, John Allis, Ron Skarin? I don't think I saw that long, Wayne wasn't in Bloomington after that, and may have had it painted because I recall he had a red Paramount for some time. Anyway, the poster- one of which Dave Stoller rips from his wall in that movie- all showed powder blue bikes I believe.
ja24_0004_zpsan0hxoj8.jpg

My Dad- 91 today- had a black road Paramount after the Italvega he started on from the Bicycle Peddler at 38th and Georgetown Rd in Indianapolis I worked at the summers of 73 and 74.

Last edited:
Back