When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 CCM Formula 1

-

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up this nice, like-new condition 1972 Formula 1 this past weekend. Originally I intended to stay away from 1970s ten-speeds, but have become more interested in road bikes after acquiring a few 1930s track and road racers. I understand the derision some people have expressed for bikes like this, as the 1970s is known as a period of decline for CCM (and other North American makes), sadly, but I picked up this bike for two reasons: its amazingly well-preserved condition, and the Reynolds 531 tubes in its frame (straight tubes, not butted). Except for a few new parts, I'd like to think this is the best-preserved Formula 1 in existence. The bar tape was originally white, and was replaced because it had become fragile. I think black looks better on this bike actually. The tires were also replaced. As for the rest of it I'll let the photos do the talking.

I believe this bike was made for only one year, 1972, and that it was second-highest in the pecking order below the Tour du Canada. Since it was the beginning of the 10-speed boom, I imagine it must have been a failure in the market place for some reason. It's possible that at the higher price points buyers gravitated towards more exotic choices available at the time, like Peugeot, and CCM decided to focus on its bread-and-butter entry-level bikes.

CCMFormula1pic1.jpg

CCMFormula1pic2.jpg

CCMFormula1pic3.jpg

CCMFormula1pic4.jpg

CCMFormula1pic5.jpg

CCMFormula1pic6.jpg

CCMFormula1pic7.jpg

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this find with the forum. ;)

The bicycle is all so perfect it looks like it is ready for its catalogue photo!

Its fittings mix is unusual, combining components from several nations. Such were the conditions of "the boom."

Chainset is Takagi (Three Arrows).

Gear ensemble is mixed combining Huret mechs with Shimano shift levers, downtube cable guide, spoke disc and chainstay stop.

Cherry brand brakeset.

It is slightly unusual to see the Sanshin Matsumoto (Sunshine) hubs on a cycle with Shimano components as the two firms belonged to differing keiretsu (export groups) at this time.

Excellent find!

-----

Last edited:
I think CCM were built in Canada. That bike is the answer to Raleigh Grand Prix - equipped essentially the same.
Even the name, Grand Prix - Formula 1
76-grand-prix.jpg

CCMFormula1cat.jpg

Thanks for the comments - very useful information! Yes, it is odd how the bike was assembled with a hodge podge of parts.
In a forum on a different site, members chuckled at how road bikes are shown with kick stands in the catalogue image.

CCM originally stood for Canada Cycle and Motor Company. Some people who know CCM only from hockey equipment are surprised to learn this.

-----

Thanks very much for the response and sharing of the catalogue page! ;)

One fitting was unable to identify was the cycle's pedal set.

Found several models which are quite close but none which were an exact match. The closest was a Brampton (England) model.

Have you discovered any markings on the pedals?

Thanks for any information.

-----

A few months ago there were two of these for sale in my area. I was tempted to bite on one of them, but procrastinated. It appears they have both since been sold.

How do you like the way it rides?

Juvela, I checked the pedals last night. They have "Mikashima Works" stamped in a circle on the end cap. When CCM was in its heyday (prewar), they manufactured several kinds of pedals in their own factory. I think the gradual downhill slide started after the war with competition from imported lightweight English bicycles in the '50s, followed by cheaper European rides in the '60s (Czech bikes imported by Majestic of Montreal for example) and then of course bikes made in Asia in the '70s. I think CCM's fate was paralleled by Schwinn in the U.S. (I've read the book "No Hands"). While I was looking at the pedals, I also had a really close look at the paint and welds, and saw evidence of what CCM experts have been talking about regarding poor quality issues at CCM in those days. There is some braze splatter on the frame, and the paint is speckley and thin, not evenly sprayed, like someone (or a machine?) was passing the spray gun over the frame too quickly.

There is a guy on another forum who used to be a CCM dealer in the '70s and is very knowledgeable on this topic. He has posted a lengthy reply about the Formula 1, which is very informative and interesting. I'll pasted it in this forum later today. One thing I learned is that the Formula 1 was second from the bottom, not second from the top (of four 10-speeds) in the model lines.

MarkKBike, I rode it only once and then put it in the garage. It's kinda cold here now and gets dark very early. It rode nicely, like a new bike, but I'm not fond of having to reach down to the downtube to change gears.

Back