When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Heavy Duti.

-

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is my dog running bike. I have the original wheels, seat, and seatpost, but use it with the Nexus three speed hubs and alloy wheels, and that Gyes beach cruiser seat, which, has at least two broken springs in it. Some of the Gyes seats had crummy springs in them. It isn’t worth fixing, and when it is done, I’ll put the original back on. It has balloon tires on it, and the basket I used to have was bigger, and would hold a whole case of beer. But, the leg broke, and I had the 12 pack sized basket on hand, and used that. I do ride it to the liquor store to buy beer. The light is a 12 volt Dorcy product, it actually makes a ton of light, and the dog has the legs for it. I’m down to my last two bulbs, I can’t find anything that works as well as the originals.
My 41 lb. English Setter pulls me several miles every day. The bike is probably 50 lbs, I am 200 lbs, and she can easily pull me. It’s nuts, and a coaster brake bike is safest. Don’t ask me how I know that. I got the bike most of 20 years ago from a dude off the Schwinn bike forum, from Middletown, Ohio. It still has a city bike license sticker, on the seatpost.
The frame SEEMS to have an extra weld or two, and the crank SEEMS to have a CT stamped into it. But, those things don’t concern the dog, who is just happy to get a run.
Ted

43A70679-B356-4A74-8775-E80D8AA7AF60.jpeg

D1CB1DF2-06F6-4F1C-89A7-6EA7A8E17DA7.jpeg

9872CB99-F6C8-4144-8228-FFE35193D3E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice bike, I'm impressed that you let the size of the basket determine the amount of beer. Back when I drank it would have only facilitated a second trip haha. There was a cop in my town who gave a few people DWI's on their bikes not me luckily. Now I would use it for dozen and half dozen doughnuts.

You can not get a DWI on a bicycle in Minnesota. Which, is weird, because they will give you one on a riding lawnmower. The hipsters downtown consider riding a beater single speed (usually a girls bike) while drinking a Papst tall boy their official uniform. The motivation for the crummy bike is to keep it from being stolen. It seems to work.

I drink at least one beer, every day. Beer is food.

Middleweight Schwinns do look great on balloon tires. I was actually told it couldn’t be done.

It can.

Ted

Back