When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Schwinn Continental in Burgundy

-

Tom Roussell

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi folks! New member here. I introduced myself a few minutes ago on Birds of a Feather. I'm restoring a 1972 Schwinn Continental and have several questions. I'll start with my most recent issue.

I cleaned the front rim and installed new rim strips, tube and Kenda K35 Gumwall 27x1-1/4" tires. When I inflated it, I noticed the tire wasn't seating correctly. Notice the lettering for Miximum Pressure is partly below the rim's edge. Same is true for the other side. I inspected the tire off the rim, and it appears fine.

Is it the wheel? Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
Tom

20200804_115519.jpg

20200804_120429.jpg

20200804_121316.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I made some measurements of the rim and tire both inflated and not. Everything appears even all around.

At this point, I'm leaning toward the tube. It's a Kenda 700x28-35C, 27x1-1/8"-1-1/4". I know 700mm equates to 27.55". Any chance the tube is simply too large for the Kenda K35P-009 tires? The tires, tubes, and rim strips were sold as a bundle, so I assumed they were compatible.

Thanks,
Tom

Update

I deflated the tires to try again. This time, as I slowly inflated them I massaged the tire onto the rim, trying to make it even all the way around. It's not perfect, but it seems much better. Is this simply normal?

Thanks,
Tom

20200804_133010.jpg

Hey Tom
No matter what the tire. Schwalbe, Kenda, Pararacer, Continental so on and so on.
you have to massage the tire onto schwinn rims. I blew up 2 innner tubes trying to seat a Duro tire on to a S-6 rim
I'm glad you got yours straight.

Did you happen to slightly inflate the tubes before installing them to see just how deformed and worthless these cheap tubes really are? And when they are slightly blown up, maybe 10 psi, you'll see they're way over sized along with being deformed. When I was installing new tires and tubes on my 61 Continental I blew the tubes up and they would fit on a 36" rim. No joke. Kenda crap. Cheap tubes like this will make the install a real PITA.

Did you happen to slightly inflate the tubes before installing them to see just how deformed and worthless these cheap tubes really are? And when they are slightly blown up, maybe 10 psi, you'll see they're way over sized along with being deformed. When I was installing new tires and tubes on my 61 Continental I blew the tubes up and they would fit on a 36" rim. No joke. Kenda crap. Cheap tubes like this will make the install a real PITA.
Yeah, I did add some air to them before installing, and as you say, they looked over-sized. But after a few times inflating them fully, they now seem to have taken the right shape/size. I know Kenda is a value brand, so I don't expect much. I think I'll be okay, but a few rides will let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

Back