When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer

-
----

Fine score, thank you for sharing.

Would have expected Atom 440 pedals rather than those KKT RTSF. 1972 catalogue page appears to show machine wearing the Atoms.

Since this bike dates from the heart of "the boom" it could be they are a factory substitution.

-----

There was a shortage in 72 of the 440s and the KKTs were used for a period as a stand in.

I was given a Sierra Brown Super Sport, 71 by the looks of it. Its not a basket case but it wouldnt take too much to make it fall apart into a basket!. It is pretty complete except seat is gone. Hope to start a resto on it later this year, after a few other projects. Not very excited by the Sierra Brown, might seek a different color for the repaint.

Our shop bought this a couple of years ago and I finally have a clean-up slot for the old boy. Appears to be mostly OG with the exception of the saddle, hb tape, and the "corncob" freewheel.

24" frame in Sunset Orange - headtube stamp is GJ***** = July '73

1580908116255.png

Were the barcons an option, or were they subbed in later?
Edit: Just read the catalog page...option.

Impressive case of "the grabs" you've got there. I know you didn't get it from hanging around the flirts.* By my count, you have more than one for each toe. The rainbow of color is giving me a healthy dose of envy. Keep it up and you'll need more lawn.

* You may have forgotten but they are to other type of dudes. The weaker ones with the two bumpers up top and they giggle a lot. They recently got empowered but still don't mess with bikes because of painted nails. They use to make us crazy with their curves. Most of them are not vintage bike-related except in old black and white photoes. The older types (now) often mention a perceived lack of non-bicycle space. PEE SITTING DOWN. Remember?
I take it you're a proponent of Jay Leno's theory that you can have a collection of ex-wives OR a collection of old (cars, bikes, whatever floats your boat), but not both. Well maybe that's not so much a theory as a simple fact.

Back