When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this up today at an estate auction. Not that much into road bikes but the Brooks saddle caught my eye. I also figured it would go cheap because it was in pieces and there were other complete bikes in the lot. Did a little research and it appears I did pretty well . With that said a lot of the chrome looks pretty roached, especially the rear derailleur. Looking for opinions on what to do with this seeing the state of the chrome. Amazingly the tubes hold air and I took it for a spin. Actually rides great considering its condition. Any general info on the bike would be great as well.
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2893.JPG

Very nice, it looks to be all original right down to the toe clips and straps. Note that is a mid-size 24" frame in Sierra Brown. As a plus it has the TA crankset, which IMHO is much nicer looking than the alternative Nervar. Here is the '72 catalog page:

1972_09.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to save the rear derailleur unless you have a "thing" for originality. The Campy Gran Turismo wasn't much good when it was brand new. I would replace it with something newer and better.

Impressive case of "the grabs" you've got there. I know you didn't get it from hanging around the flirts.* By my count, you have more than one for each toe. The rainbow of color is giving me a healthy dose of envy. Keep it up and you'll need more lawn.

* You may have forgotten but they are to other type of dudes. The weaker ones with the two bumpers up top and they giggle a lot. They recently got empowered but still don't mess with bikes because of painted nails. They use to make us crazy with their curves. Most of them are not vintage bike-related except in old black and white photoes. The older types (now) often mention a perceived lack of non-bicycle space. PEE SITTING DOWN. Remember?

----

Fine score, thank you for sharing.

Would have expected Atom 440 pedals rather than those KKT RTSF. 1972 catalogue page appears to show machine wearing the Atoms.

Since this bike dates from the heart of "the boom" it could be they are a factory substitution.

-----

Back